Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Should I use LTS or stable version ?

• orsayman
  • orsayman's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #210719 by orsayman
Should I use LTS or stable version ? was created by orsayman
Dear forum,

We want to install a new version of limesurvey (our current version is very out of date) but I need some advice on which version to choose.

We have a rather simple usage of limesurvey: we usually run 1 or 2 surveys at a time, we send a few invitations per month and sometimes (once every few years), we send an invitation to a few thousand users.

If I'm correct, the current LTS is 3.25.8 while the latest stable version is 4.3.34 at the time of this writing. I would tend to use the LTS but it looks like a large gap in version. So I was wondering if version will soon be considered LTS (AFAIU version 4 was released a year ago so it should be rather well tested now). Other than that which features of version 4 could justify to use this version ?

We will install the software with the docker at [url] hub.docker.com/r/acspri/limesurvey [/url].

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by orsayman. Reason: Add some links (mostly for myself)
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 3 months ago #210720 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Should I use LTS or stable version ?
Version 4.x is still declared as "unstable".
Have a look at the download page.

And the gap?
Well, 4.x is a new major release with a new designed GUI and other new features.

So stay to version 3.x at the moment.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • orsayman
  • orsayman's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #210721 by orsayman
Replied by orsayman on topic Should I use LTS or stable version ?
Thanks for your quick and precise answer.
  • holch
More
3 years 3 months ago #210724 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Should I use LTS or stable version ?

If I'm correct, the current LTS is 3.25.8 while the latest stable version is 4.3.34 at the time of this writing.

4.x is still declared as Joffm has already highlighted.

version 4 was released a year ago so it should be rather well tested now

Have you tested and made bug reports? No? You are not alone. Unfortunately when it comes to new releases there is very little testing fromt he community, which leads the developers to declare it as "stable", while it is not. This has happend back at 2.7x and it was a desaster and it happened again with 4.x and it was a desaster again, which is why LS 4.x went back to "unstable" and Release Candidates.

So, what we recommend is use LS 3.x for production, but install a test enviroment for LS 4 and test the sh*t out of it. The additional version doesn't cost any license costs. LS needs help from the community to make LS 4 stable. Once it is stable I think it will be a great release of LS.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose