Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Comfort update from Version 2.00+ Build 130611

• sostberg
  • sostberg's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #200164 by sostberg
Replied by sostberg on topic Comfort update from Version 2.00+ Build 130611
So, you don't have an idea about this table error message?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200165 by holch

It's just the work setting up the surveys. Until now we only had to copy the old survey.

Set up the latest 3.x LTS in parallel, it doesn't cost you anything, at least not more than maybe 5-10 minutes to set the new installation up (mabye 15min if we include the upload).

Then you export one of your surveys as LSS and import it into the new installation. This should work without problems. Test it. if everything else is fine, export and import all of your surveys to the new system.

So no need to create the surveys from scratch. If you use some workarounds, they might not work with the newer version, but the same problem you would have with any upgrade either. And if you have custom templates/designs, they will need to be adapted to the new templating system. But here also the same when upgrading.

So if you don't have many users and only few base surveys that you would like to use again, then the setup of a new installation including copying the surveys might take you between 30-60min. I think it is the cleanest approach.

And from then on you just keep up with the updates and CU should work like a charm.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by holch.
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200169 by sostberg
Ok, I will try this. First I have to reset everything to the older version 2.00.

Thanks!
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200173 by sostberg
We can close this topic. Reinstalling V2.00 didn't work, and I will set up a completely new installation. Luckily I found a survey export of the old survey, so that I at least know the questions...

Thanks again for the help! :)
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200175 by holch
When you say that you found an export of the old survey, is it an LSS?

Because then you should be able to import without a problem.

What happened to the reinstall? Why did it not work?

What you could try is making the new install of LS 3.0 and use a dump of the old database to see what happens. More than loosing the data can't really happen. If it works, great, basically an "update", if it doesn't, you'll just need to start over with the installation.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200178 by sostberg
No, it's an Excel file. And there was a ton of error messages. The question for us is, if we really need LimeSurvey (or another survey platform), as we usually run one or two surveys per year... Plus, you can't easily embed it into another website (at least not V2.0)...
More
3 years 10 months ago #200179 by cdorin
LimeSurvey 3 can be easily embedded via <iframes> into an website (many users using it like that)

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200180 by holch

The question for us is, if we really need LimeSurvey (or another survey platform), as we usually run one or two surveys per year...

Well, this decision non one can make for you. ;-)

Limesurvey isn't too expensive, I host mine for around 10 Euros per month on a VPS with 8GB ram and Plesk. For the occasional study this should be more than enough.

But if you really run 1-2 surveys per year, you could think about getting limesurvey Pro 1-2 per year and don't have to worry about hosting. Just export your survey as LSS and import it again later. I personally prefer to have it on my own server, and around 120-150 Euros per year aren't too much money I think. Of course CU comes on top of this. One could could live without it, but on the other hand it is very comfortable and while we could live without a sofa, most of us don't. And it is under 100 Euros per year I think. So all in all between 200-250 Euros, less if you also use the server for other things. Shouldn't kill any company.

• sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200197 by sostberg
Ok, I'll dig into this...

Thanks und danke!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose