Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Comfort update from Version 2.00+ Build 130611

• sostberg
  • sostberg's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #200088 by sostberg
Hi everyone,

We obviously run a very old version of Limesurvey.
Now I tried to update from Version 2.00 using the Comfort Update.

I can see, that the version 5 is available, and I see the ComfortUpdate button. After clicking that, it says, that all looks good, and I can continue with the next step. (Step 2)

After clicking that, the system says, that the update server is not available. I have a comfort update key, but was never asked to enter it somewhere.

What can I do?

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 10 months ago #200090 by holch
I am not sure, but it is possible that comfortupdate only after your version. Not sure if it was there in 2.00+

Version 5 of Limesurvey? This doesn't exist. Wir are currently at 4.x.

But does this mean that your installation shows you an available update? Then your version should be ready for Comfort Update.

But you WILL need to put your key there, otherwise it won't work.

Go into "Global Settings", there will be a tab called "Comfort Update".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200091 by sostberg
Replied by sostberg on topic Comfort update from Version 2.00+ Build 130611
Hi Holch,

Thank you for your reply!

Ok, maybe it's not the version number 5, but 5 updates?
The line says: "The following LimeSurvey updates are available: 5 (5) (unstable)", then the button "Use the ComfortUpdate". (all in German) This I click.
Where do I have to put the update key?

Thanks!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by sostberg.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200099 by holch
Your version is the very first release of the version 2.00, so there are always a couple of hickups. Usually in the first few weeks after the release of a new branch there are very frequent updates, which you did not do.

The following LimeSurvey updates are available: 5 (5) (unstable)"

This sounds like you are seeing a development version of limesurve 5.x. My very old 2.6.6 LTS install does only show an update to LS 3.x.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS. I repeat, do NOT install this.

We are currently at 4.x which is labeled as "stable" on here, but I personally would not consider it stable enough for using it in production. So imagine LS 5.x!

Do not continue with the comfort update.

As you are a paying Comfort Update user, you can creat a support ticket (go to "support" in the top navigation, do not let you redirect to the forum, open a support ticket about the topic).

There is a good chance that there is no comfort update way from your version and you might need to do a manual update. But I don't know, this needs to be discussed with the Limesurvey GmbH, which you got the Comfort Update from.

Tell them that you want to update to LS 3.x LTS (NOT LS 4.x yet).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sostberg
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200128 by sostberg
Hi Holch,

Thanks a lot! I will contact the guys at LimeSurvey.
More
3 years 10 months ago #200143 by cdorin
We don't support CU in 2.00. We kindly ask all users to use at least 2.06 . LS 2.00 is just way too old ... The CU tool was changed ~5 years ago, making it incompatible with older versions. The next CU updates did not cover versions older than 2.06 as well (LS 2.00 is ~7 years old).

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200144 by sostberg
I understand. So, what would be the best way? Manually update to 2.06 and then using CU to 3.xx? Or manually update to 3.xx directly? If last, is there a way to cancel the CU key in order to not have expire without using it?
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200149 by sostberg
I did the manual update to 2.06+ Build 160129, and the front end seems to work. However, when I try to log into the admin area, I get a 500 error message.

The error I get is =>
Internal Server error
The table "{{plugins}}" for the ActiveRecord-class "Plugin" can not be found in the database.

<=
What shall I do? Just add this table in the database?

Thanks!
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200152 by sostberg
In the meantime I enabled the debug mode and found the following details:

Both tables which are mentioned in the message are already in the database.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200156 by holch
I would probably manually update to 2.06+ and then see if Comfort Update works.

In any way, for manual update, I probably would update in steps and I wouldn't skip any major release. Just in case.

Also, with such an old installation, I recon it isn't used that much? Maybe a solution would be to set up a totally new and clean install of the latest 3.x LTS release (if you don't have many surveys that you still need or if you don't have a ton of users, which you would have to create new one by one).

I did the manual update to 2.06+ Build 160129, and the front end seems to work. However, when I try to log into the admin area, I get a 500 error message.

Weird, but a 500 error is usually do to some problems with the server itself. What version of PHP/MySQL are you running? With such an old version that hasn't been updated in about 7 years there is a good chance that the server it is running on is old "slightly" outdated. ;-)

Maybe the fresh install is your best solution for the moment. Your "mumie" is almost 7 years old now. I doubt anyone here has such an old version running (I honestly hope so!) to check things.

I don't know your setup, but I would probably "cut" my losses and just install LS 3.x LTS on a fresh server with an up to date setup, to be prepared for the future. LS has come a long way since 2.00 and there have been a lot of improvements and changes since 2013.

If last, is there a way to cancel the CU key in order to not have expire without using it?

I instantly hope that you will actually use it, once you have a more modern version running. There are always minor updates and bug fixes, so the CU key will not expire without using it, as long as you don't wait another 7 years, to do the next update. ;-) (sorry, it was just too tempting...).

But honestly, I don't think it makes sense to put the CU key on hold even if it would be possible (I don't know, you need to clarify this with the Limesurvey GmbH), if you solve this issue within the next couple of days. Because from then on you can use the comfort update for any new update that is applying to 3.x LTS or 4.x (which I would currently only install for testing, because I don't feel it is ready for "productive" use yet - we probably have to give it another couple of weeks/months for that).

The following user(s) said Thank You: cdorin
  • sostberg
More
3 years 10 months ago #200161 by sostberg

holch wrote: What version of PHP/MySQL are you running?

If I knew that... The old version was installed by 1&1 automatically, so I can't change the version, and I can't even see the version.

I also already thought about making a complete new installation. We don't have any users, and no open surveys. It's just the work setting up the surveys. Until now we only had to copy the old survey.
More
3 years 10 months ago #200162 by cdorin
About Error 500: we saw that error as well. We edited the parameter and tested it but again... without any success (deeper changes/edits are needed to make CU work in LS2.00)

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose