Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Survey submission is excruciatingly slow

More
3 years 10 months ago #199019 by mrli999
Replied by mrli999 on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow

mrli999 wrote: I also came with this problem. My version is: 2.73.1+171220.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? Thanks.

The problem was caused by the smtp account. My smtp account is not on the same server as the web site. It took some times to send email out using that smtp account. Thanks.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 10 months ago #199073 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow
Yes, this is a problem. When the emails are not working properly, it can cause problems with the survey. Not sure if this problem has been solved in LS3 and LS4

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
3 years 10 months ago #199075 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow
The survey submission process is not finished till the notification email (if SMTP is enabled) has been delivered. That hasn't changed.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 10 months ago #199084 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow
Using php mail can fix the issue,
And php mail use default server system, this one can use another smtp relay.

Seems to be difficult to send an email without waiting result , if you have advice on a how to do this.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #199086 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow

Seems to be difficult to send an email without waiting result , if you have advice on a how to do this.

I don't know, but I would prefer the completion of the survey to be independent of the sending of the email. Yes, of course the email should be sent. But when there is an issue with email, I'd rather have at least the survey completed with no email sent than having no email sent and the survey not being finished.

So couldn't we trigger the email sending by submitting, but not require the survey to wait until this has happened to finalize? At least then we have the completed survey. Yes, we still have a problem with the email, but at least 50% of the "goal" is completed. In many cases the email sent is a nice to have and probably would count rather just 5-10% of what should be achieved and the survey completion is 90-95% of that goal.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 10 months ago #199094 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow
For information : if you use php mail, it's really quick .
No control of done or not

And you can set your server use a SMTP relay …

So couldn't we trigger the email sending by submitting, but not require the survey to wait until this has happened to finalize?

Use php mail …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
3 years 10 months ago #199103 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Survey submission is excruciatingly slow

holch wrote: I don't know, but I would prefer the completion of the survey to be independent of the sending of the email.

The few users using notification will learn it the hardway. They will disable notifications or switch software. They will not use phpmail cause that will not be a suitable way in most hosting environments.

Idea 1: Save notifications into the database and have a cron job combined with a server load check to run notification in low load situation.
Idea 2: Prioritize survey submission over notification emails and have a timeout for notification emails.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose