Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

what is the maximum participant csv file you can upload into the token table

• Carolyn2017
  • Carolyn2017's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #203326 by Carolyn2017
Hello
I have a participant email list of 90,000 emails.
What is the maximum size I should break this down into.
Also I read I can only send 200 invites out at a time, how does this work if you have a larger participant table.

This probably sounds quite silly. But I have never had a participant pool this large.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Carolyn
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
3 years 8 months ago #203330 by tammo
Did you try importing the 90000? I would try first.
If it does not work: import 45000. If that does not work: 22500. Somewhere down the line it will work.

Tammo

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
  • Carolyn2017
More
3 years 8 months ago #203331 by Carolyn2017
Thanks Tammo, yes I did that. It is very delicate, as I ended up with duplicates, as I must have pressed upload twice unknowingly. So I ended with 10,000 and that seemed to work.It has been a long day. But I am wondering then how long it will take me to send out invites?
  • tammo
More
3 years 8 months ago #203332 by tammo
In Global settings > Email settings you can indicate how many emails get sent out per batch. Default is 50, which is quite low. depending on your server and email settings, you may want to increase this to 100. That will send out 100 per batch.

But be aware: as described in forums.limesurvey.org/forum/design-issue...ind-email-batch-size it is better to use an external mailing service when sending out large amounts of email invitations.

See also: manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings#Email_settings

Tammo

respondage.nl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carolyn2017
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 8 months ago #203335 by DenisChenu
The only limit are "Time and memory" PHP …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 8 months ago #203438 by holch
Sending out 90.000 invitation emails is a delicate matter. Sending mass emails without being considered a spammer is a science. If you just go about it and send, there is a high chance your server will end up in spam black lists and/or be blocked from sending emails to major email providers like Gmail, etc.

Gmail has some information on how to avoid getting blocked when sending bulk email to their users (with 90.000 emails there is a good chance that quite a few are gmail). Other providers are probably similar.
support.google.com/mail/answer/81126?hl=en

I think you should really read into this and/or consult a professional with this.

Most import is that you have a good SMTP server that is well configured and is not in a "bad neighborhood" (in a datacenter with a lot of spammers).

Then your email content is also important, the quality of your email list as well (if you send many wrong emails to them, this will lead to blocking by Gmail and Co).

As I said, this is a science and it is impossible to cover this in a forum like this one.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Carolyn2017
More
3 years 8 months ago #203459 by Carolyn2017
Thanks Holch. I appreciate your reply. I am aware of these issues and have consulted where I was able to, but unfortunately I have to use lime software and the professionals at my university are not experts of the software they offer to staff, sad but true. I think I will opt for a slow manual approach.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 8 months ago #203462 by DenisChenu
> but unfortunately I have to use lime software

I don't understand : it's not related to the software …
Else : if you use a 3.X version : you can set mail limit to 5, leave your browser open , and they are sent via javascript step by step : the software is really good for this.

About spam (i don't talk of this, thank to @holch) limesurvey allow to use external services like mailinblue, mailjet etc …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • tammo
More
3 years 8 months ago #203465 by tammo
Hi Carolyn,

you start a thread asking for help about importing, you end up insulting the limesurvey users by mentioning that you "unfortunately have to use lime".

All because you now realise that after being assisted with importing 90000 possible respondents, you may have to think about how to send these people an invitation?

Also when you use SurveyMonkey, Google Forms or any other software platform for doing research, you have to think about how to invite 90000 people without ending up in spamboxes.

Yes, doing online research is a profession! There is no justification in spitting in our eyes because we help you realising that you need to research more.

Tammo

respondage.nl
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 8 months ago #203466 by DenisChenu

tammo wrote: Yes, doing online research is a profession!

:)

• Carolyn2017
More
3 years 8 months ago #203509 by Carolyn2017
HI Tammo
Please accept my appology, not meant to insult you or anyone else offering advice. I am just quite frustrated about this situation. I have consulted alot of "professionals" in my institution, before I created the survey in Lime, so I have invested quite a lot of time on this. Thanks for your advice.
Cheers

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose