Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Add CSS to Survey Without Modifying the Theme

• Kyler_Hunter
  • Kyler_Hunter's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #220410 by Kyler_Hunter
Add CSS to Survey Without Modifying the Theme was created by Kyler_Hunter
Due to business requirements we're only allowed two themes but we have several surveys that are requesting some specialized styling for their particular survey.  How can I add CSS to a specific survey without modifying the actual theme?

Example one survey wants to hide the survey title (but we don't want to remove it as it then disappears from the survey list view).  Another wants to add an icon next to the title.  

Thanks

LimeSurvey Version in use: 3.17.1
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 6 months ago #220421 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Add CSS to Survey Without Modifying the Theme
I don't understand "Due to business requirements we're only allowed two themes". Themes don't cost anything and this is exactly the purpose of extended child themes.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Kyler_Hunter
More
2 years 6 months ago #220423 by Kyler_Hunter
Replied by Kyler_Hunter on topic Add CSS to Survey Without Modifying the Theme
Okay so I have to charge everything I do to specific charge numbers. I was only given the okay to build two themes. I have not been cleared to build more because while yes we do not pay LimeSurvey for more themes, someone must pay me to build them. Hence the reason why I'm not allowed to build more. They are only allowing me to build the survey. The client just want the title removed without having to create and modify a whole other theme. So I need a way to add a small bit of CSS directly into the one survey without touching the theme. But I cannot find a way to do do that. So is there a way to add CSS without modifying the theme? Thanks.
  • tpartner
More
2 years 6 months ago #220425 by tpartner
Not as far as I know.

If there was, I suspect you would spend more (billable) time doing that than extending a theme which takes less than 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Kyler_Hunter
More
2 years 6 months ago #220426 by Kyler_Hunter
Unfortunately that's the way of business sometimes. Thanks for the reply.
  • Joffm
  • Away
More
2 years 6 months ago #220428 by Joffm

I was only given the okay to build two themes

As far as I understand, you have to build two new themes by
  • either extending one of the existing ones and customizing them
  • or building from scratch
And now a client has a small additional wish

The client just want the title removed without having to create and modify a whole other theme

And now there is the feature of "theme inheritance".
To fulfill the wish you only have to extend your theme and add the new feature.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
2 years 6 months ago #220433 by holch
I know that sometimes "business is like this", but it doesn't make any sense what so ever.

You already spent more time asking on the forum than it would take to copy/extend an existing theme and make that little modification, let alone search for a solution via CSS from within the survey.

If Tpartner is not aware of a way to do what you try to do, I think you can be pretty sure that chances that there is a way, is pretty low. Don't call it a new theme, but an extension of one of your existing themes, should do the trick. You can always say that you did not create a new theme. If this is not acceptable to them, well... ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
2 years 6 months ago #220443 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Add CSS to Survey Without Modifying the Theme
You can hire Tony or Holch (unsure?) : "business is like this"

You have a client and you ask to unpaid volunteer to fix your issue with your client ?
SERIOUSLY !

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Kyler_Hunter
More
2 years 6 months ago #220458 by Kyler_Hunter
So what you're suggesting is go against my clients very specific wish of only two themes. Deceive them by calling its something its not. Just to change one little item in one survey?
  • tpartner
More
2 years 6 months ago #220459 by tpartner
No, we're suggesting you tell your clients that there is one way to economically do this - extend a theme.

The alternative would be to place CSS/JavaScript in the welcome message, every group description and the end message.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• Kyler_Hunter
More
2 years 6 months ago #220460 by Kyler_Hunter

The alternative would be to place CSS/JavaScript in the welcome message, every group description and the end message.

See that's the solution I was looking for.  It had not occurred to me to try that.  Next time rather than trying to argue with me about a solution that I know about but cannot implement try actually offering a solution that meets the needs of the person asking.
  • Kyler_Hunter
More
2 years 6 months ago #220461 by Kyler_Hunter
No I'm not asking them to fix the issue with my client. I asked a very simple yes or no question, can you add CSS to a survey without modifying or creating a new theme.

My client is aware of how LimeSurvey works. They specifically said they only want two themes. So if there isn't a way to add CSS to just the survey then that is the end of the matter. I'm not going to go behind their back for something so small. They are aware that it may not be possible and are fine with that. I'm just doing my due diligence to make sure I know what is and is not possible.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose