Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Meaning of Export data for Multiple choice with comments

• blocka
  • blocka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198256 by blocka
I have a survey with Multiple choice with comments question types.

When I export my data, I see that there is a column for the checkbox for the subquestion, and a column for the comments text.

In the column for the checkbox, I see:

Yes
No
N/A

Neither the question or the question group it belongs to are conditional (so the question is always shown).

Why would I see N/A in the export data? Either a checkbox is selected or it is not selected, which would suggest I should only see Yes or No -- not N/A).

Any insight appreciated!
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago #198276 by tpartner
We can't give you any without seeing the survey (.lss file).

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • blocka
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198282 by blocka
Please see attached. QuestionID TRD4. For the multiple choice boxes, sometimes we get No, other times N/A, and when selected, Y.

File Attachment:

File Name: survey_631617.lss
File Size:24 KB
  • tpartner
More
3 years 11 months ago #198285 by tpartner
What LimeSurvey version are you using?

In 3.22.13, I get the expected data - "Y" if the checkbox is checked, nothing if it is not checked.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • blocka
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198292 by blocka
I was running 3.22.10+200323, but I've just updated to 3.22.14+200423. In both cases, I ran a few test submissions, and I get Y or N...

But on my live survey, with about 50 responses, now and then I get N/A instead of Y/N -- and they are for responses that are marked as completed. And there are no conditions in my survey, so all questions are shown to the participant.

So it seems very odd to see N/A sometimes.

• holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #198303 by holch
I just did some tests and for me the answers are also only "Y" or empty.

There should be no "No", and als no "N/A" only "Y" if checked and empty if not checked.

However, when exporting as "Full answers" and not just "answer codes", the "Yes" and "No" appear. But I did not have any "N/A" despite trying a couple of things (e.g. check and uncheck boxes, stop before the end of the survey, etc).

Are you sure that this data set was generated with exactly the same LSS as we are testing? Or did you make a copy and export a smaller sample, as we usually ask for this?

Because in your Excel sheet, the colomn for TRD4[SQ001] is "BW", in my data export it is in column "P". So you have a lot more columns than me.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #198340 by DenisChenu
@holch : try with array_filter or exclude option.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • blocka
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198350 by blocka
@holch I did make a copy and removed all the other question groups in the survey, as the survey isn't for public consumption. I could PM the LSS to you directly, if you wish. But the full survey has no conditions in it, so I didn't think it would be problematic to post just the question group with the issue.
  • blocka
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198351 by blocka
For reference, I don't have an array filter or exclude option enabled on the questions that are generating N/A responses.
  • blocka
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198352 by blocka
I have noticed this:

1. When I export using Responses=Full answers I get a mix of Y, N, and NA
2. When I export using Responses=Answer codes, I get just Y or blank (I never see N or NA)

When I look directly in the mySQL response table, I see the values Y, blank, and NULL, so I wonder why sometimes blank is recorded instead of NULL?

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #198353 by DenisChenu

blocka wrote: For reference, I don't have an array filter or exclude option enabled on the questions that are generating N/A responses.

blocka wrote: When I look directly in the mySQL response table, I see the values Y, blank, and NULL, so I wonder why sometimes blank is recorded instead of NULL?

This is really strange …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • blocka
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #198355 by blocka
Is there any scenario under which null would be saved to the response table instead of blank or Y?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose