Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Random groups but force two groups to occure together

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #196970 by holch

OP want something really specific :)

Position of a group at a randome position followed by another group.

Have a group + page concept give some facility, but even with page + group + randomization group : we don't have an easy solution ....

I don't see a problem here. I would put A and B into the same logical group, but separate them onto two pages. When I randomize the logical groups, they are always together, because they are in ONE logical group. Problem solved. Or am I missing something?

From what I understand, having a page concept AND a group concept in parallel would be perfect for these kind of cases.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by holch.
The topic has been locked.
  • rakittam
  • rakittam's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #196973 by rakittam

I don't see a problem here. I would put A and B into the same logical group, but separate them onto two pages. When I randomize the logical groups, they are always together, because they are in ONE logical group. Problem solved. Or am I missing something?

Can you specify what you mean by a "logical group"?
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196974 by holch
Sorry rakittam, I am discussing with Denis a theoretical concept that I had suggested to be implemented into LS a while ago. IT IS NOT IMPLEMENTED, so it is no solution for you. This is a "theoretical no problem" if we would have the page concept in addition to the question group concept implemented, not a "real life" "no problem".

Currently we have "question groups" as a concept. They can either be used as a visual group (== page) or as a logical group (questions that belong together logically, but not necessarily visual - on the same page).

My proposal was something like this:

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rakittam
  • rakittam
More
3 years 11 months ago #196975 by rakittam
Thank you for this addition.

Actually, you have my vote; this would be a useful extension of the existing 'question group' concept.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196976 by holch
Or probably better something like this:

But as said, this was a Feature request that I created quite some time ago (additional "Page concept"), which was not implemented (yet). And probably never will.

In LS 4, the question groups have been partially renamed to "pages", but we still have to decide whether we want to use the current concept for grouping questions on pages or if we want to use it for logical grouping of questions.

The approach highlighted by Joffm is also interesting. Generally people want to display question by question, I think. But sometimes you would like to have two questions on one page, for a specific reason (e.g. a Text display and then an evaluation question, etc.). Currently, because you might have one case where you want to do this, you'll have to wrap each question into its own group, just to be able to have 2 questions in one of the groups/pages. If you have a very long survey, this might add a lot of extra steps, just to be able two show two questions on one page in one occasion throughout the questionnaire.

E.g. my company has a standard questionnaire that has about 26 questions. The general mode is to show everything question by question, just the gender and the age are shown on one page, generally.

In some tools I only create 26 questions and than join 2 of them onto 1 page.

In Limesurvey I need to create 26 questions and 25 question groups if I want to achieve the same result. If someone creates a lot of surveys, this can have a significant impact on how long it takes to program such a questionnaire. If you only create 1-2 new questionnaires per month, not a big deal. If you are programming 2-3 questionnaires per day, this has a strong impact on your workload.

• Joffm
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #196977 by Joffm
Yes it would be,
but holch and I are talking about it for years.

But you can merge the two groups.

Simple by inserting a simple question between the two parts (you should insert the same question at the end of your other groups as well)

Then something like:
Group1 Q1 <- is_empty(QX)
Group1 Q2 <- is_empty(QX)
Intermediate question QX
Group2 Q1 <- !is_empty(QX)
Group1 Q2 <- !is_empty(QX)

And it should be possible to hide this intermediate question after clicking it by javascript.

Now it's up to you.
Either you wait until somebody will develop something,
or you review your design
or you use a different tool,
or...

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Joffm.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196978 by holch

Actually, you have my vote; this would be a useful extension of the existing 'question group' concept.

Feel free to vote here:

bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9416

The feature request is from end of 2014 (almost 5,5 years ago) and it has since been "acknowleged", whatever this means.

But while I think it would be a perfect extension for Limesurvey and allow a lot of flexibility, I am also realistic enough that this would probably touch many different parts of Limesurvey, thus would be probably quite some work to implement. And of course this reduces the chances of implementation. The higher the complexity of something, the lower the chances that it will make it into LS, that is just natural. Development resources are limited.

Of course this won't prevent me from highlighting the advantages of such a concept. ;-)

• rakittam
More
3 years 11 months ago #196979 by rakittam
I understand, they should really consider your concept! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Thank you all for your time. I will use the information you have all provided and create a makeshift solution.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #196980 by DenisChenu
Again and again : it's more easy to construct something complex with a lot of little part than something doing whole in one big part ...

Worpress without plugin are ... near unusuable, but it's one of a more used CMS used. Drupal without plugin or extra developement are ... near unusuable etc ....

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196981 by holch
@Denis: OK, then I vote for the page concept as a plugin. ;-)

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #196990 by DenisChenu
My opinion : randomization can be in plugin :)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196992 by holch
I don't care where it is, in core or plugin, as long as it works and is always up to date I am fine with it.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose