Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

SMTP setup for adding admin users

• Leon0402
  • Leon0402's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #213254 by Leon0402
Replied by Leon0402 on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users
You already asked that ;)

It still is. Although the Adress in the survey settings seems to be determined by an Environment Variable.
I would expect that the email address in global settings defaults to the environment variable, but when changed it takes precedence.

Anyway, the environment variable and global settings email are set to the same value, so doesn't matter so much at the moment.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 1 month ago #213255 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users

You already asked that

I did not see it answered.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
3 years 1 month ago #213276 by ViliusS
Replied by ViliusS on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users

Sorry,

Forum broken today …

Did you try activate debug mode ? manual.limesurvey.org/Debug_mode

Just debug=1, I might try 2 as well. 

Is the default email address in global settings the same as the address in the survey settings?

It is. Although there is some confusion here as I run LimeSurvey in Docker and there is a variable "LIMESURVEY_ADMIN_EMAIL" I have to set. This seems to have preference over the same setting in global setting. 

Please provide the complete settings of the LimeSurvey mail settings. E.g. what port is used?  You should compare these setting with a mail client like Thunderbird to check if the settings are really working. Your hint with the generated password might is the reason for no longer being able to use LimeSurvey with Yahoo. Sounds like OAuth2, which isn't supported by LimeSurvey. I'm not using Yahoo and don't know if SMTP is still available without OAuth2. Yahoo switched to OAuth2 last year.

smtp Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com:587 
username: myMailAccount@yahoo.com 
password: application generated password (This is needes for third parties, same for google and probably most other email providers) 
encryption: TSL 

According to Yahoo documentation SMTP username should be just "myMailAccount" without the domain part.

Indeed, LimeSurvey's SMTP settings can be confusing. Make sure that LimeSurvey Admin Email AND Admin Name is the same as your Yahoo email and name. Not sure how Yahoo handles this but some email providers block sending if name in "From:" doesn't match what is set in the mail account.

By the way, have you specified correct email for new survey administrator? I've missed this couple of times in the past and could not understand why sending password emails did not work :)

For what it's worth LimeSurvey works with Yahoo accounts even if Oauth is enabled. App Passwords are the correct way to go. If none of the above helps you will have to find SMTP mock service to see what's going on on the SMTP level. LimeSurvey's mail debug option is buggy and won't show anything during user creation :(.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose