Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

SMTP setup for adding admin users

• Leon0402
  • Leon0402's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213076 by Leon0402
SMTP setup for adding admin users was created by Leon0402
Hi, 

I've tried to set up SMTP, so I can add other admin users, which will get an invatation with their password. The problem is that it fails sending the e-mail and it's rather unclear what went wrong. The popup just says failed to send E-Mail. At the top of the page it just says 
2021-03-09 07:44:06 CLIENT -> SERVER: QUIT
2021-03-09 07:44:06 SERVER -> CLIENT: 221 Service Closing transmission

It seems the actualy error message, which gives more hints why this happended is not shown. There are also no hints displayed in the console, where I'm running LimeSurvey. 

In fact, my smtp setup actually seems to be correct as I can send invites for a survey.So it seems it might be a bug with LimeSurvey if sending email works in one place, but not in the other. But perhaps you have some idea, what else I can check. 

My Configuration is pretty much standard. I use a yahoo mail with smtp setup and SSL (as it's required by yahoo). Furthermore I use an application password, which I generated as using the normal password with third party apps doesn't work for security reasons with most providers. 
I also activated smtp debug mode.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213124 by holch
Replied by holch on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users
As always: Which Limesurvey version are you using?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Leon0402
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213129 by Leon0402
Replied by Leon0402 on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users
I'm on 3.25.15
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213134 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users
Set maildebug to always
manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings#Email_settings

Create a survey, add token
Send an invitation

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Leon0402
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #213143 by Leon0402
Hi Denis,

I already did both. As I said sending invitation links from withing a survey works like a charm.
Just sending emails for adding admin users fails.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Leon0402.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213144 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users
Sorry,

Forum broken today …

Did you try activate debug mode ? manual.limesurvey.org/Debug_mode

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • tpartner
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213178 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users
Is the default email address in global settings the same as the address in the survey settings?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213224 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users

My Configuration is pretty much standard. I use a yahoo mail with smtp setup and SSL (as it's required by yahoo). Furthermore I use an application password, which I generated as using the normal password with third party apps doesn't work for security reasons with most providers.

Please provide the complete settings of the LimeSurvey mail settings. E.g. what port is used?  You should compare these setting with a mail client like Thunderbird to check if the settings are really working. Your hint with the generated password might is the reason for no longer being able to use LimeSurvey with Yahoo. Sounds like OAuth2, which isn't supported by LimeSurvey. I'm not using Yahoo and don't know if SMTP is still available without OAuth2. Yahoo switched to OAuth2 last year.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Leon0402
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213225 by Leon0402

Sorry,

Forum broken today …

Did you try activate debug mode ? manual.limesurvey.org/Debug_mode

Just debug=1, I might try 2 as well. 

Is the default email address in global settings the same as the address in the survey settings?

It is. Although there is some confusion here as I run LimeSurvey in Docker and there is a variable "LIMESURVEY_ADMIN_EMAIL" I have to set. This seems to have preference over the same setting in global setting. 

Please provide the complete settings of the LimeSurvey mail settings. E.g. what port is used?  You should compare these setting with a mail client like Thunderbird to check if the settings are really working. Your hint with the generated password might is the reason for no longer being able to use LimeSurvey with Yahoo. Sounds like OAuth2, which isn't supported by LimeSurvey. I'm not using Yahoo and don't know if SMTP is still available without OAuth2. Yahoo switched to OAuth2 last year.

smtp Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com:587 
username: myMailAccount@yahoo.com 
password: application generated password (This is needes for third parties, same for google and probably most other email providers) 
encryption: TSL 

I also tried Port 465  with SSL Encryption. 

Both configuration do work with sending invites to surveys! So it can't really be a problem with OAuth2? Or does LimeSurvey support it in one place, but not in others ... that would be kinda weird. 

I also use this E-Mail in a python application and it's working well, so here is again a check that the configuration should be alright. 

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213233 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users

In fact, my smtp setup actually seems to be correct as I can send invites for a survey.

If this statement is true, it cannot be related to the mail settings at all.
I wonder if you still be able to send invitations via this Yahoo account.

Where is LimeSurvey installed/hosted?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Leon0402
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213241 by Leon0402
What do you mean with "I wonder if you still be able to send invitations via this Yahoo account"?

LimeSurvey runs in a docker container on a server. I just though that it actually is behind a proxy and yahoo is afaik not whitelisted. So I wonder if there is a proxy issue ... but again, why should it work in one place, but not the other?
  • tpartner
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #213247 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic SMTP setup for adding admin users

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose