Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

One question does not appear for SOME of the participants (not all of them!)

• Pernelle
  • Pernelle's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #168943 by Pernelle
Hi,

I have an active survey (created with LimeSurvey 3.0) which appears to have some bugs for SOME (but not all!) of the participants (and it doesn’t seem to be related to the browser they are using).

The survey consists, among other things, of 12 question groups that are almost identical (with only the displayed recordings in each question group being different).

So, this question group consists of six questions. Only ONE of the first four questions is displayed (which one is displayed, is random), the fifth question is always displayed, and the sixth question only appears if the fifth question has been answered with a a particular value. So, the structure of the QG is:
- 4 questions of the type ‘text display’ containing two div’s: one of the type <div class="video-holder"> containing a video hosted on a small physical server (Kimsufi KS-2A ( www.kimsufi.com/fr/serveurs.xml )) and one of the type
with the same video hosted on Youku.com .

Of these 4 questions, each participant only gets to see one of them, which is implemented via 12 random numbers generated at the beginning of the survey in a hidden question group,

- then the 5th question is of the type ‘multiple short text’ and contains a div created by my web developer <div id="twodimensional-space-holder"> </div>,

- and then the 6th question is of the type ‘short free text’ and only appears if the value ”other” has been chosen as answer to the 5th question.

I imported 12 times the same QG and only changed the address of the recordings in the div's (in the four first questions) and the relevance equations of the question. So these 12 question groups should all work in the same way.

A few participants reported that, only for ONE of the 12 quasi-identical question groups, the question with the recording did not appear (and it is not only the div’s that did not appear, because the small text that is written above the div’s was not displayed either), so only the 5th question appeared (I'll post a picture of what they see and what they SHOULD see in a comment below)

I have checked the relevance equations and I can’t see any problem there. Also, if the relevance equations would be problematic, then ALL the participants should get the same bug, which is not the case. It also seems that it is not always the same question that is not being displayed.

Is this a bug of LimeSurvey? Or can you think of something I might have done wrong?

Many thanks for your help!
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Pernelle.
The topic has been locked.
  • Pernelle
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #168945 by Pernelle
So, what they see when none of the first four questions is being displayed :

and what they should see:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Pernelle.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 10 months ago #168984 by holch
Due to the pretty complicated structure, I think it is not really possible to help you without a LSS file.

Bug or not a bug: 3.0 is the very first stable release of the LS 3.x branch and yes, it is likely that there might be bugs in it. However, you will not be able to identify if it is a bug or not until you updated to the most recent version of LS and check if you can reproduce the problem. Because it actually might be solved already.

However, as it works for 11 of the question groups, I'd guess it is rather an error in your implementation of the equations and relevance equations than an actual bug in LS. If it would be a bug it should happen to all of the other groups as well.

Why do you use SGQA codes instead of question codes in the relevance equations?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac, Pernelle
  • Pernelle
More
5 years 10 months ago #169046 by Pernelle
Thank you! We have been able to do the update now, and it apparently solved the problem (although it is difficult to say whether there might still be some participants experiencing the problem or not).
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #169047 by LouisGac
Holch is right, since 3.0, we fixed many bugs.
you'd rather update to the latest version

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose