Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

ExportR Syntax file Language

• usr764783
  • usr764783's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #204461 by usr764783
ExportR Syntax file Language was created by usr764783
Hi everybody,

I'm running LS 4.1.18 with ExportR plugin 1.0.0 installed. I can export R syntax file and data without problems. My questionnaire is available in English (default) and other languages.

Although the export dialog offers the option to export the R syntax file in any of the available languages (other than the default English version), the generated file always contains the English version of the questions and answer options.

Is this a problem with LS or the ExportR plugin? Any work around or alternatives to get the data from a specific language version into R?

Many thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • usr764783
More
3 years 7 months ago #204562 by usr764783
Replied by usr764783 on topic ExportR Syntax file Language
A related question: anybody has experience with exporting results to R via the the RemoteControl API?

Does this just export the data frame without variable labels? If it incorporates the labels (i.e. skips the manual step required after downloading results with ExportR of combining syntax and data files), does it respect the selected (non-default English) language of the questionnaire?

Any insights would be much appreciated.
  • DenisChenu
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 7 months ago #204610 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic ExportR Syntax file Language
Seems there are an issue with R syntax file in 3.X too. R syntax use only default language.

Please : can you report the issue : community.limesurvey.org/bug-tracker/

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • usr764783
More
3 years 7 months ago #204678 by usr764783
Ok, done!

I realize that the RemoteControl API resolves to some degree this issue, as I can download an R data frame in any of the available languages. However, the disadvantage is, that variable labels are not complete but are inferred from the actual responses. That is: if a specific variable is a factor with 10 labels and only two get selected among all my responses, then I will miss out on the remain 8 labels. When reporting results, I won't be able to show which dimensions of a variable have not received any responses.
  • usr764783
More
3 years 7 months ago #205510 by usr764783
In the meantime I have written a R package LimeRLabel to extract question and answer labels from the LimeSurvey Survey Archive *.lss file. These can then be combined with the manually or Remote API based CSV data file.

The result is the R data frame in any of the available questionnaire languages. This makes it also easy to switch between different survey result reports that need to be in different languages.
  • DenisChenu
  • Away
More
3 years 7 months ago #205533 by DenisChenu
But WHY you don't make a bug report and a pull request for LimeSurvey core ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • usr764783
More
3 years 7 months ago #205629 by usr764783
The bug report is posted since a while ago bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=16626

I need this now and I'm quicker in R.

Would be nice to be able to download the *.lss file via RemoteApi though. Is there any chance?
  • DenisChenu
  • Away
More
3 years 7 months ago #205630 by DenisChenu
Oh right !

Sorry , great solution :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose