Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

We cannot open our surveys on Chrome or Safari suddenly

• Amboann_378672
  • Amboann_378672's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #239261 by Amboann_378672
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [see right hand bottom of your LimeSurvey admin screen]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template:
==================
(Write here your question/remark)
We have many public surveys that all of a sudden cannot be accessed on Safari or Chrome Browsers. The only way I've been able to access them has been on firefox on my PC. I've tried clearing cache, cookies and other history but no success. Tech support at Lime said they can access these links but not sure why they can and we cannot. Below is an example link of public survey that is not working for us on chrome or safari.

bikemn.limequery.org/762251?lang=en
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Amboann_378672.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 2 months ago #239263 by holch
Just clicked your link with Chrome and it works just fine.

Have a look at your local internet / network settings. Doesn't seem to be a general issue.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
1 year 2 months ago #239264 by holch
Just opened all the surveys that can be found at bikemn.limequery.org/ and they all work for me on Chrome.

If tech support at Limesurvey can access them, I can access them, then chances are high that you have a local issue that prevents you from opening them in Chrome and Safari.

Is it just your computer, or other computers as well? Try from another computer, as a friend who is in a different network and see what happens.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• Amboann_378672
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
1 year 2 months ago #239266 by Amboann_378672
Replied by Amboann_378672 on topic We cannot open our surveys on Chrome or Safari suddenly
Thanks for the help! We have tried from multiple computers and multiple internet providers. I even just tried from my phone browser and cannot access that link. Curious what country you're accessing the link from as the tech team seems to be in Europe and I'm curious if that's relevant.

If it is a local issue, how would I go about remedying it? Is there anyway to refresh our limesurvey account?

• tpartner
More
1 year 2 months ago #239267 by tpartner
I can access bikemn.limequery.org/762251?lang=en using Chrome from Canada.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• Amboann_378672
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #239268 by Amboann_378672
Replied by Amboann_378672 on topic We cannot open our surveys on Chrome or Safari suddenly
That's good to know, but still nothing on our end trying to access from the US. Frankly, I'm incredibly frustrated with the slow response and lack of suggested troubleshooting on Lime's end here.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Amboann_378672.

• holch
More
1 year 2 months ago #239270 by holch
I am not quite sure what you expect. They can access it, so they can't reproduce your issues. So they can access it, probably from Germany. I can access it from Brazil and tpartner can access it from Canada. So to me, this seems to be a very specific issue on your side. To be honest, chances that this is an issue on the side of Limesurvey GmbH is very slim (won't rule it out 100%, but given the evidence probably 99%), seeing that them, tpartner and myself have no issues what so ever.

Só instead of waiting for a solution from the limesurvey GmbH to an issue they don't experience, let's approach this from your side. What does it look like when you open the survey in Chrome? Can you show a Screenshot? Do you have any firewall (software or hardware) or any proxy between you and their server? Do you run any anti-virus software or specific browser plug-ins? Did you run the test on your phone on 4g/5g or on the same internet connection/network your computer is using? Ask a friend or neighbor with a different isp to check for you, etc. to narrow things down.

If it is a local issue on your side resetting anything on the server side won't make any difference.

• Amboann_378672
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #239271 by Amboann_378672
This is what I see (and my coworkers see on different networks) when I try and access the lime survey links via Chrome and Safari on multiple computers. However, I just retried signing off of wifi and using cell data 5G on my phone using Chrome and I actually was able to access it. However, it can't be limited to just my home wifi since multiple coworkers have experienced the same issue regrettably. Thanks again for trying to assist.

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Amboann_378672. Reason: attachments

• holch
More
1 year 2 months ago #239272 by holch
Maybe an DNS issue as suggested in your first screenshot. So if your coworkers are not on the same network and still experience the same issues, we need to find out what is similar. Because on your phone it seems to work when using cell phone data.

Are you by any chance all using a VPN on your computers?

• holch
More
1 year 2 months ago #239273 by holch
I did a dns propagation check and there might be some dns issues with your subdomain and or with the limequery domain: www.whatsmydns.net/#A/bikemn.limequery.org

Usually all/most dns servers should be up to date. Has there be some change to your subdomain lately? I also checked for limequery.org and it was worse. So I don't know what is going on, but chances that this is an issue of Limesurey GmbH has just increased in my opinion.

So if this hasn't improved in a couple of hours (whichnis the time it usually takes to update all dns servers after a change in configurations), you should check dns propagation again and then get in touch with their support again. Different ISPs can use different dns servers to resolve domains, which can explain that you can see it on some connections and not on others.

• Amboann_378672
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
1 year 2 months ago #239274 by Amboann_378672
Thanks so much for your continued attention to this Holch, I'd be completely lost without your replies. Admittedly, a great deal of what you said is over my head regarding dns issues. However, I don't have any reason to believe changes have been made to our subdomain lately. This issue has been going on for a week+ now (maybe that's not relevant, but I didn't really follow your mention of improving in a couple of hours).

• holch
More
1 year 2 months ago #239275 by holch
Generally, when you make changes to your domain or subdomain it takes some time for those changes getting to every dns server worldwide. In my experience this can take from a few minutes to several hours. Now,if you have these issues for weeks, this can't be a normal update issue and it needs something deeper.

I am not at my computer, as it is fairly late here.

The domain limequery.org doesn't seem to have any IP assigned to it, which seems a little strange to me. But doesn't necessarily mean that it is a problem, as long as the sub domains have a IP address assigned. But as I said, there seem to be several dns servers that don't have information about the ip your subdomain is mapped to. This shouldn't be the case for more than a couple of hours. One or two dns servers out isn't a big deal, but on the test I ran there were quite a few (there are of course many more, but the test can only check a limited amount). You can usually set the dns servers to be used in your router (or even on your computer) and thus force different dns servers from the standard ones your ISP uses. This could solve the problem for you, but this won't solve the problem for people who take your survey.

So you should write the support asking them to check the dns, as there seems to be some issue, in my opinion. I am not an expert on this, but the dns check suggest that something isn't right.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose