Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Not so easy: Migrating working survey from very old version 2.05

• erichn
  • erichn's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 7 months ago #231286 by erichn
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 5.3.31
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Dedicated Server
Survey theme/template: Das ist das Problem
==================
Umfrage aus Limesurvey 2.05 soll in neues Limesurvey 5.3.31 übernommen werden. Import klappt gut, aber

- Individuelles Template ist auf altem Server in limesurvey/templates gespeichert
- limesurvey/templates existiert nicht auf neuem Server, aber limesurvey/themes
- Inhalt in Limesurvey/themes hat ganz anderes Format, als das alte in templates
- Directory limesurvey/templates manuell angelegt und altes Template übertragen - kein Erfolg

Vermutlich ist eine konvertierung irgendwo beschrieben, aber ich finde nichts. Wäre für einen Hinweis sehr dankbar.

Grüße,
Erich

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #231290 by tpartner
English in this section of the forum please.

The templates/themes for LS5 are completely different, so not compatible with pre 3.x templates.

You will need to create a completely new template/theme.

- manual.limesurvey.org/New_Template_System_in_LS3.x/en

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by tpartner.

• erichn
More
1 year 7 months ago #231295 by erichn
Sorry for using german as I do the rest of the day. This will become some hard work, as the old template is relative complex, including some javascript here and there. Seems, I knew why I stuck to the old release until now.

Thank you for your answer and for the link.

Greetings,
Erich

• holch
More
1 year 7 months ago #231299 by holch

I knew why I stuck to the old release until now.

Nevertheless, I think you will enjoy LS5. LS2.05 was good, but it is really, really outdated and hasn't received any bug and security fixes for years. So this switch should have been made years ago for a production environment.

Now that this conversation continued in English, I am not sure if I should move this to the German forum (as I usually do when the wrong language is used), or keep it here.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• erichn
More
1 year 7 months ago #231358 by erichn
The old version worked fine and I never had to make any improvements - so, "if it's not broken, don't repair it". But now, as I have to make the change anyway, I thank you for your optimistic comment.

To make the useful advices available to everyone, I posted the thread-start again, but in (my) english and with a link to here. Hope this will be an improvement, not a new complication.

Greetings,
Erich

• erichn
More
1 year 7 months ago #231383 by erichn
1. Installing actual Limesurvey on new system worked (seemingly) fine.

2. Importing old survey without problems. Automatically theme "fruity" was linked.

3. I tried to copy a theme as described somewhere in the docs. Couldn't find a "copy"-button and after some searching found the function "extend" in the theme-listing. Created a new theme "test".

4. The link between the new survey and its theme was found in "(survey) -> general settings -> theme". Changed it to the new theme "test" and clicked "save". Seemed to work, but when going to some other page and coming back again, there was still the old theme "fruity".

After several searching and experimenting, checking my permissions (couldn't change them) and creating a new user with all permissions - I finally decided to make the change per hand. phpMyAdmin was great help, but I was a little bit nervous when operating on a living system.

I expect to survive the next days, but some questions are still open:

1. When importing a survey, who decides which theme to use? Can this decision be controlled in some way?

2. Why can't I make a change in "(survey) -> general settings"? I feel that I must have made some mistake with the permissions, but when and where?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Erich

• holch
More
1 year 7 months ago #231384 by holch
To your question 2: Are you a "super admin" or did you create a different login for yourself?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• erichn
More
1 year 7 months ago #231388 by erichn
I'm the only one admin since installation. When looking at "configuration -> user management", this account has only the icon for "user details" in column "Action". I can't see what kind of user I am to the system.

In user management I can select the account "admin", click the button "selected user(s)" below and click on "edit permissions". Then I can activate all permissions and finally click the button "Apply" in the lower right corner. I get a message with the status "Saved successfully". When editing the permissions again, all marks have disappeared.

Another account, I have created for testing purpose, has 6 icons in column Action and I can edit the permissions. Doing this again, I can see the edited permissions.

Next thing I will do, is to look into the database, but rather, as they said in the DDR, "like the pig looks into the clockwork".

• tpartner
More
1 year 7 months ago #231396 by tpartner

When importing a survey, who decides which theme to use? Can this decision be controlled in some way?

Default template - manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings/en#General

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• erichn
More
1 year 7 months ago #231401 by erichn
Sorry, I should have seen that. It's too easy to get good answers here. Thank you!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose