Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Versions compatibility

• dkv_user
  • dkv_user's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #222564 by dkv_user
Versions compatibility was created by dkv_user
Hello, Team

May I ask to provide more detailed compatibility matrix
information of your solution.
I need to verify if our existing version
will work correctly with new OS/SQL versions and should I expect any issues I can in case of such update.

Current deployment:
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008
  • Lime Survey v2.50 Build 160311

Planned deployment:
  • Windows Server 2019
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2019
  • Lime Survey v2.50 Build 160311 (the same)
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 4 months ago #222567 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Versions compatibility
> Lime Survey v2.50 Build 160311 (the same)

PHP version ?

Don't really care of windows version, if it work on 2008, it mlust work on 2019.

For "Microsoft SQL Server" : use it with care. We don't have a lot of user using MSSQL …

Why not update to 3LTS ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
  • Away
More
2 years 4 months ago #222579 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Versions compatibility
Limesurvey isn't deployed on Windows that often, especially not by the developers.

Lime Survey v2.50 Build 160311 (the same)

But I think no one here will really be able to speak for a software that is over 5,5 years old. And even worse, this is the very first version of the 2.50 branch, which at the beginning was probably one of the worst releases that Limesurvey ever had, with a lot of bugs and problems. You did not do ONE update since then and there were hundreds of it, because of all the issues this software had upon release.

I think you should rather think about an update of Version LS3 or LS5 than anything else.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, tpartner
More
2 years 3 months ago #223217 by Mjobius
Replied by Mjobius on topic Versions compatibility
PHP version is 5.6.24 (2016)
How does the php version affect the work of this component?
More
2 years 3 months ago #223218 by Mjobius
Why not update to 3LTS ?
- it is too labor-intensive in terms of the scale of the system, and we do not need to change something with LTS
  • holch
  • Away
More
2 years 3 months ago #223224 by holch

- it is too labor-intensive in terms of the scale of the system, and we do not need to change something with LTS

That makes no sense.

Limesurvey 3 LTS is not more labor-intensive. You are running one of the worst releases of Limesurvey with a lot of bugs. It does not make sense to continue with the 2.5x release today. It is significanlty worse than any of the current releases LS 3 and LS 5. I would go straight to LS5 and forget 2.5x as fast as I can.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
2 years 3 months ago #223226 by Mjobius
if we can update the Windows server environment without affecting the already working LS configuration, we would prefer to do just that. But if a more recent version of windows server does not support LS 2.5, we still have to update it.
  • holch
  • Away
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #223227 by holch
In my opinion Limesurvey v2.50 Build 160311 could never be considered "working". There was so much wrong with this version that there were hundreds of updates and bug fixes within the first couple of weeks after the release (and non of which you have applied).

In any way, I don't think anyone can give you any help or support with this version. For one, it is over 5,5 years old and has been considered depricated for quite a while now, and then everyone here in the forum that I know either never even employed 2.5x in production for the above reasons (just wasn't stable for production) and went straight from the previous LTS to LS3 once it was stable, or have long dropped it.

Personally, I would never use 2.5x for any production usage, not even the latest version with a lot of the bugs fixed. You on the other hand, you are employing the very first version of it, with none of the thousands of bug fixes employed whatsoever.

If in your jurisdiction there is any privacy law like GDPR/DSVGO, LGPD, etc. in place, if anything happens, you will be in trouble if running such an outdated and knowingly bad release of the software. You sure don't guarantee the data protection with "state of the art" and "up-to-date" software. I personally just can't understand the reluctance to move away from a really bad piece of software (I am just honest here, LS 2.5x was a nightmare) with loads of bugs to a more stable and much better software, especially as there is no license cost involved. In the time you have spent on this forum discussing how to move a really old piece of software to a new server you could have setup the whole now thing. ;-) I know, there might be a lot of users and surveys to be transferred, but usually you could just use a copy of the old database and install the new version over that and see if things work (and they most probably will). The only thing that will not work are custom themes and custom workarounds.

Anyway: If you insist on continuing running LS 2.5x (which - you might have noticed this by now - I highly discourage ;-) ) you might need to run your own tests. As you don't need to pay any licensing fees, you can just setup a test environment on the new server and see what happens.

As mentioned above, I highly doubt that anyone here has touched a LS 2.50 in the last couple of years, and less likely that it was on a Windows Server / Microsoft SQL Server.

So I think you are on your own when it comes to LS 2.50 in a Windows Server environment.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose