Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Survey Session Timeout

• jpl166
  • jpl166's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #221768 by jpl166
Survey Session Timeout was created by jpl166
It seems this comes up periodically, and I've already read through an enormous amount of material.

I'm running 3.27.6 build 210629 on Debian 10.  I've already configured table-based sessions and set my iSessionExpirationTime to 86400 seconds.  When I originally did this, I was able to go in to the DB table, find my session cookie ID, and convert the epoch time stored in there to readable and see that my session would expire 24 hours from now.  When I do those same steps today I see an expiration 24 minutes in the future, not 24 hours.  I don't remember what version of LS I was running back when this worked, but I have definitely upgraded on two occasions since then.  It worked in March of 2021, but I probably wasn't running the latest 3.x at that time.

The default iSessionExpirationTime in config-defaults.php is 7200 seconds, which is still not 24 minutes.  It seems that 24 minutes is the default timeout value from the Yii CHttpSession, as referenced www.yiiframework.com/doc/api/1.1/CHttpSession which I got to from the LS documentation.

Has something changed over the last year or so in either the LS code or the Yii code that would change how this works?

-Joel

The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 5 months ago #221785 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Survey Session Timeout
You have a settings in GUI for iSessionExpirationTime manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings/en#General

If it don't worki with this setting : it's an issue , please report

This setting is shown only if you set session in DB.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • jpl166
More
2 years 5 months ago #221799 by jpl166
Replied by jpl166 on topic Survey Session Timeout
That is reporting the same 86400 that I have set in the application/config/config.php.

How exactly do I report a bug other than this? I'm running community edition, everything I've looked at has said that it's unsupported and to post in the forums.
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 5 months ago #221801 by DenisChenu
You don't see the menu on this page ?

community.limesurvey.org/bug-tracker/

And put a +1 on this issue : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=17701

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • jpl166
More
2 years 5 months ago #221802 by jpl166
I've been supporting an install of LS for ... 5 years? and this is the first I've _seen_ that page. I'm reporting it now.

Thank you for the assistance.
More
2 years 5 months ago #221837 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Survey Session Timeout

The default iSessionExpirationTime in config-defaults.php is 7200 seconds, which is still not 24 minutes.  It seems that 24 minutes is the default timeout value from the Yii CHttpSession, as referenced www.yiiframework.com/doc/api/1.1/CHttpSession which I got to from the LS documentation.

I recommend to check the php.ini session settings. The 24min is the default value 14400 of the php session. Yii seems to not recognize LimeSurvey GUI settings  in case you use a tablebased session.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 5 months ago #221839 by DenisChenu

• jpl166
More
2 years 5 months ago #221848 by jpl166
Yes, that's the source of the setting and provides a workaround. I actually found that in the code late yesterday and set my session.gc_maxlifetime to what I want and proved out that the values in the lime_sessions DB table are what they should be to reflect it. I've still got the bug report open, since there's all this code around iSessionExpirationTime including making it configurable via the General Settings tab, and it doesn't seem to do anything at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, jelo
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 5 months ago #222022 by DenisChenu
Please : put the link of the bug report here :)

• jpl166
More
2 years 5 months ago #222048 by jpl166
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
2 years 5 months ago #222150 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Survey Session Timeout

You have a settings in GUI for iSessionExpirationTime manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings/en#General

If it don't worki with this setting : it's an issue , please report

This setting is shown only if you set session in DB.
Since session timeouts are a known problem, would it be easily possible to add a short note like "Your current session timeout is set to XXX seconds."? That way a user directly knows what the value used is and can double check if their adjsutments are taken into account.
This would be a really nice improvement since people are often having problems finding the currect setting or file to adjust the timeout details.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 5 months ago #222151 by DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose