Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Probs with pre-select

• svenjalell
  • svenjalell's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 9 months ago #218236 by svenjalell
Replied by svenjalell on topic Probs with pre-select
ok thanks ...
... so it isn't possible to write the token somewhere in the resultset of a participation ? say, as the value of a hidden text field ?

Best,
Svenja
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #218237 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Probs with pre-select
No, this would break anonymity. You need to choose: either you want an anonymous survey (as technically defined in Limesurvey) or you want to be able to pass attributes.

Because even if you would only use attributes that can not identify the respondent, if Limesurvey would offer the option, then the anonymous mode couldn't be considered anonymous anymore.

Even passing attributes/variables via the link is dodgy (in my opinion), when talking about "technically anonymous" surveys.

What we often do in market research is to promise that the data will be analyzed anonymously, while there is still an option to connect respondents' data with responses (e.g. for inviting them to a follow-up research project, to provide incentives/raffles, quality control, etc.).

In this case the anonymity is not based on technology, but rather based on research ethics. We promise to not analyze data together with personal information. After a while the personal information is disconnected from research data and later also deleted, when we are sure we don't need it anymore.

Now if you want or need to guarantee 100% anonymity based on technology, then you can't pass data from the token table to the response table or the survey, but I also think you shouldn't pass any variables via the survey link. In your case the data you pass might not break anonymity, but respondents don't know this. The variable you pass on could stand for anything (e.g. be an ID), etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 9 months ago #218238 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Probs with pre-select

Even passing attributes/variables via the link is doggy in my opinion, when talking about "technically anonymous" surveys.

Yes +1

What we do in market research often is to promise that the data will be analyzed anonymously, while there is still an option to connect respondents data with responses (e.g. for inviting them to a followup research project, to provide incentives/raffles, quality control, etc.). 
hhh

So !

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose