Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

KCFinder Image Browse Server bug

• Andrewpace
  • Andrewpace's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #213780 by Andrewpace
KCFinder Image Browse Server bug was created by Andrewpace
There are several (now locked) postings on the fact that the resource manager is doing unexpected things. Clearly the KCFinder module is rather old, but actual cause of the problems have been misdiagnosed in other threads. 

What people are experiencing is that images (but not video) upload via the Resources tab on the sidebar do not show up when trying to insert an image through the editor. 

The reason for this bug is that Limesurvey maintains two folders for resources, one for "Files" and another for "Images". The structure is 

/LimeSurvey/Survey/upload/surveys/423184/images
and 
/LimeSurvey/Survey/upload/surveys/423184/files

When you add an image via the resource manager it is supposed to go to the images folder, and this is whether the editor looks. However the resource manager in fact is adding images to the "files" folder, therefore they are not seen. Shifting the uploaded files to the images folder corrects the problem. 

Clearly this needs fixing - perhaps by having a separate resource upload for files and folders if these cannot be automatically identified as such. 

(There is a separate issue that KCFinder does not work great in some versions of chrome, but I'll leave that for now)

EDIT: I just notice that in the resource manager there is a dropdown where one can say whether what one is uploading is a file or an image...... I have never noticed that before, and clearly neither have others. So it is not so much a bug as a confusing thing. Worth leaving this thread up here in case it helps others. 

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Andrewpace.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 1 month ago #213782 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic KCFinder Image Browse Server bug
Forum is not the place to report issue.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Joffm
  • Away
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #213787 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic KCFinder Image Browse Server bug

there is a dropdown where one can say whether what one is uploading is a file or an image...... I

Fortunately I read your post till the end.
I just wanted to answer  "You have the option where to store your ressources."

have never noticed that before, and clearly neither have others. So it is not so much a bug as a confusing thing.

Some people will find it confusing, other appreciate the option to improve the structure.

And to show what you talked about.
This dropdown

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Joffm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Andrewpace
  • Andrewpace's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #213797 by Andrewpace
Replied by Andrewpace on topic KCFinder Image Browse Server bug
Don't disagree with that at all. The structure is fine/good. The problem is that it is not nearly obvious enough. It has clearly confused many others apart from me (and I am pretty tech savvy). I had to spend ages physically moving files across to the correct folder via FTP without noticing the dropdown.

It's also not at all clear from the manual either manual.limesurvey.org/Resources
Even more confusing in that it in fact shows the exact opposite - the image in the manual shows two image files (.jpg and .png) files in the "files" section.

Regular users will eventually notice the dropdown, but I think it would be worth an explicit message to the effect that file types should be uploaded separately via the dropdown, and that images are not files (which they clearly are). Another option is to make the default location images rather than files, and to pre-create an images folder so that this folder shows

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose