Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Poor performance after install using Bitnami stack

• gweisser
  • gweisser's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #212353 by gweisser
Hello,
we installed Limesurvey using a Bitnami stack on a VM in our central VM cluster with 2 cores and 2GB RAM but performance is pretty poor, the login for the administration page takes about 40 seconds and every action like creating a survey also takes 10-30 seconds. There are no conncetions to other servers configured (like LDAP). We started with a VM of 1 core and 0,5GB RAM but the change to 2 cores and 2GB RAM did not change the performance. After suggestions in the forum I also switched the language from German to English, that did not make a difference.

I would love to have an idea where to search. Or maybe the Bitnami stack is not the best idea to set up a Limesurvey server?

Thanks from a German Hospital

System informationYour system configuration:
  • LimeSurvey version
  • LimeSurvey build
  • Operating system
    Linux bitnami 4.19.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.160-2 (2020-11-28) x86_64
  • PHP version
  • Web server name
    limesurvey.klilu.de
  • Web server software
    Apache
  • Web server info
  • Database driver
    mysql
  • Database driver version
    mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: 7cc7cc96e675f6d72e5cf0f267f48e167c2abb23 $
  • Database server info
    Uptime: 2350 Threads: 2 Questions: 1609 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 480 Flush tables: 3 Open tables: 401 Queries per second avg: 0.684
  • Database server version

The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 2 months ago #212371 by holch
First point: LS 4.x is still considered "unstable". If you must use LS 4.x I would go with the latest Unstable Release 4.4.10.

However, the most recent stable release is Stable (LTS) Release 3.25.15, which I currently would suggest for production.

I have no idea what Bitnami does to Limesurvey. I would always recommend to install Limesurvey from scratch anyway. Any specific reason why you would install a Bitnami stack?

the login for the administration page takes about 40 seconds and every action like creating a survey also takes 10-30 seconds.

The first part triggered the suspicion that your sever has no access to the internet. Some time ago Limesurvey caused problems during login, when there was no internet connection, because the ComfortUpdate tried to connect to its server. But this should have been solved quite a while ago.

Now, the secon part seems to indicate that there is more to it than just LS trying to contact the Comfortupdate server.

LS should run resonably quick on your hardware.

Seems like your setup is creating some problems.

In any way, I would first update to the latest version of your branch and see what happens. Could be a problem in your specific version.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose