Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

University Update: 4.4.2 no text editor, only html possible

• 06schreg
  • 06schreg's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #211258 by 06schreg
Hello, the university I attend has updated Limesurvey to Version 4.4.2. Since then the text editor is gone and it's only possible to format the text via html. Is it possible for me to change that in some settings, or do I need admin rights to do that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tanger
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 2 months ago #211270 by tanger
Good  day 06schreg 

you really mean 4.4.2  - wow. Can ´t belive that you took a bleeding-edge version

cf:  community.limesurvey.org/downloads/

Stable (LTS) Release 3.25.10

Unstable Release 4.4.0

Development Release 4.4.0-RC4

plz let us know which version you took !? 

we look forward to hear from you 

regards

The following user(s) said Thank You: 06schreg
  • 06schreg
More
3 years 2 months ago #211274 by 06schreg
Hi Tanger, thank you for your reply. Now it makes more sense why the text editor might not work. I don't know why my university installed a unstable version. I also contacted the helpdesk of my university, which was not helpful at all. They told me they are not responsible for limesurvey support... So I guess the only solution would be a downgrade to a stable version. I will contact my university again. Thank you for your support
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 2 months ago #211293 by holch
Well, it isn't necessary a problem of the version (but it well could be).

But there is a setting in Limesurvey admin, that shows/hides the editor, depending on what the admin wants. Also in your user settings there is an option to do that. In your user section you can check under "My personal Settings" the "HTML Editor Mode".

If this isn't it, then the admin would have to check if the disallowed the WYSIWYG editor. On super admin level there is a similar setting, where the admin can allow or disallow the editor. So maybe this is it. Because I just had a look at the demo here on limesurvey.org and this installation runs on 4.4.0 RC3 and the editor shows (took a while to load though). Try demo.limesurvey.org/admin and see if you can see the editor. If you can't, it might actually be a problem on your computer/browser.

By the way: As far as I know, there is no 4.4.2 yet. So it would be good which version you are really using. 

But to be honest, all those editors do more harm than good. The often insert unnecessary code and might cause problems.

I personally have them switched off on purpose. The few html tags and css you need to format a text is learned in 10min I guess and things are a lot cleaner.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cdorin
  • 06schreg
More
3 years 2 months ago #211294 by 06schreg
Hi Holch, I don't know why I wrote 4.4.2 and overread it in my response to tanger . I'm using 4.4.0, so sorry for that. 

If this isn't it, then the admin would have to check if the disallowed the WYSIWYG editor. On super admin level there is a similar setting, where the admin can allow or disallow the editor. 

It guess that's it. I will contact my university again about that.

Thank you for your time and help.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cdorin
More
3 years 2 months ago #211299 by cdorin
I will check it now with a clean installation. It's quite possible the setting got disabled -> check global settings @06schreg (or tell that to the admin).

About personal settings: @holch is right, you can change the HTML editor from there only that now that section is buggy/it does not work. Hope to have it solved by 4.4.2 the latest.

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
  • 06schreg
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #211499 by 06schreg
I already tried to change the HTML Editor Mode as suggested in the last days, but there still was no textediting possible. I tried it again yesterday and it worked, but i don't know why. Thank you all for your fast support!
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by 06schreg.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose