Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

arrays - exclusive option - changing answer

• Thomassie
  • Thomassie's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #205926 by Thomassie
Hello,

I can't believe my question is new, but I've searched the forum for a while and didn't find an answer so I will ask my question anyway.

When I create an array I want to rule out the possibility of multiple answers, so I've enabled the exclusive option.

no problems so far.

But when people choose an option and later want to change their option, there is no possibility to change the answer (at least not on my computer). The chosen box stays chosen and the other answers stay greyed out, even when returning to the previous question and heading forward again results in a checked box that is impossible to change.

Any help would be welcome.

greetings

thomas
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 5 months ago #205930 by holch
Wait a second. You are using a array (numbers - with checkbox layout) that allows multiple answers and later you make all answers exclusive so that people can only answer one???? This doesn't make sense. Why not use a normal Array question where you can only give one answer per subquestion?

Either I don't understand what you are trying to do (maybe show a screenshot or even better an LSS file with only the relevant question). Because at the moment I am confused.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Thomassie
More
3 years 5 months ago #205938 by Thomassie
Replied by Thomassie on topic arrays - exclusive option - changing answer
Hello,

maybe my explanation is in fact confusing. I am at home now so I can't take a screenshot until tomorrow morning. But I can try to explain it further. I chose to go with a standard array (not numbers, I think I didn't mention that) because I want the participants to chose between a unique combination of rows and columns.

For example
city village countryside
house
appartment x
room

In this case the person chose for an appartment in the city. Without the exclusive option, someone would be able to also choose a combination in the "house" row and the "room" row, and that I do not want. I do not think there is an other option within limesurvey than choosing "arrays" to create multiple columns, but I can mistaken.

I could split this question and use bullets, but that feels clumsy to me.

Am I overlooking a more obvious route? Please tell me if you think I do.

Nevertheless, the "exclusive" option is available within arrays, so even if my reasoning or chosen pad is not optimal, I find it strange that there wouldn't be a workaround for participants to change their choice other than completely restarting the survey.

The best solution
  • Joffm
More
3 years 5 months ago #205941 by Joffm
If you only want to exclude some combinations, why not remove the not wanted radios?

See here
forums.limesurvey.org/forum/design-issue...cted-question#205227

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • Joffm
More
3 years 5 months ago #205945 by Joffm
Or a different approach

Volunteers are not paid.
  • holch
More
3 years 5 months ago #205953 by holch
I think I might have understood now, what you want to do:

You not only want them to be able to only choose one questions per row / subquestion, but also just one answer per column / answer option, correct?

So if the person chooses the combination of "appartment" and "city", they should not be able to mark the answer option "city" for the other items, correct?

So for "House" they then could only choose "Village" or "countryside", and if they then choose "village" for "House" the would basically only be able to choose "Countryside" for the subquestion "Room".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• holch
More
3 years 5 months ago #205954 by holch

Nevertheless, the "exclusive" option is available within arrays, so even if my reasoning or chosen pad is not optimal, I find it strange that there wouldn't be a workaround for participants to change their choice other than completely restarting the survey.

First I need to understand what you are trying to do to evaluate if the use of "exclusive" makes sense for you or not. I am not judging, I just have a hard time to understand what you are trying to do. And Joffm seems to have difficulties as well.

• Joffm
More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #205955 by Joffm
Quite right.
I have no idea what is the question. What do you ask your repondents? What do you expect them to answer?

to chose between a unique combination of rows and columns.

You can use a validation like count(self.NAOK)==1
and additionally add a "reset"-button to deselect.

In this case an array(number) might be better because here you can select and deselect.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Joffm.
  • Thomassie
More
3 years 5 months ago #205962 by Thomassie
Apparently my explanation skills are worse than i thought :), because the respondents here have no idea what my question is. So last try without screenshot or other help. I want to setup a survey for our clients (people with a mental disability) to retrieve what their housing wishes are. Does client A want to live in an appartment? or does client A rather live in a communityhouse with just a private bedroom? or does client A rather live in a house on his own? I want to combine this question with the question where his unit should be located. in the city? in the comfort of a village? or in the very quiet countryside. It seems logic to me when I combine these questions into one questionmatrix that I only retrieve one possible answer. For example client A wants to live in appartment in a village.
To create this matrix, an array seemed (to me) the most logic option, because the other questiontypes don't seem to work with multiple columns.

Therefore when a client selects an option I found it helpful that the other options become greyed out, in this way I ensure that they do not choose an extra option. So the available "exclusive" option seemed a perfect fit. And it fits perfectly, the only thing that bothers me is that there is no standard possibility to change your answer. So that is my question.

I hope this makes sense.
  • Joffm
More
3 years 5 months ago #205970 by Joffm
Hi,
your idea with the exclusive option works - at first sight.

But what if the respondents changes his mind and prefers an apartment?
You know that.
So you have to insert a reset button like this.

Therefore in my opinion an array(numbers) will fulfill your needs easier.
Selection, Deselection, easy, built in.

And as it is a single punch question, you ought to use one.
Here list(radio) with bootstap-button layout.
Improve by some icons and/or colors.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomassie, cdorin
  • Thomassie
More
3 years 5 months ago #205973 by Thomassie
thank you joffm and other contributors for the hands-on help. I will give the last suggestion of joffm a go, because that seems just what the doctor ordered.

thanks again

greetings

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose