Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Upgrade from 2.05 to latest version risks

• maggie_lime
  • maggie_lime's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #205658 by maggie_lime
Upgrade from 2.05 to latest version risks was created by maggie_lime
I have to perform an upgrade on limesurvey from 2.05 to latest version with no prior experience on limesurvey...
We will use the manual approach which is pretty simple. Keep backup of upload folder and config, upload the new files and restore the backed up folders, then visit the admin URL and perform db update.

So I did the above and database upgrade is performed without errors.
The app loads with a completely different UI (as expected) but when I click to whatever of the menu items I am redirected to the homepage......
No errors on apache log.

What else should I check? What are the risks?
I am completely lost...

Any guidance is really appreciated.

Thanks
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by maggie_lime.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 6 months ago #205660 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Upgrade from 2.05 to latest version risks
First of all: "latest version" --> Stick with the latest version of LS 3.x LTS for now, because in my opinion LS 4.x is not ready for production. Install LS 4.x only for testing purposes and bug reports.

Definitely keep the backups, because from 2.05 to 3.x Limesurvey has come a long way. Usually such huge jumps in versions have been tested by few.

Templates/themes, workarounds, etc from 2.05 will not work in LS 3.x, as the template system has changed a couple of times since then.

If you do not have many surveys and users that need to be transfered, I personally prefer clean cuts. I personally install major new releases in parallel and then slowly fade out the old version (and I copy surveys if necessary).

Even with a lot of surveys / users, I might probably create a copy of the database and install LS 3.x in parallel, using this copy of the database and see how it works out. If everything fails, you still have the old version until you figure out what is wrong in the new installation. At least for testing purposes I would do it this way. You can see if everything works as expected and then can either use this new installation (and ask your users to update the URL they are using), or you can upgrade the original one, once you know everything ran smoothly.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: maggie_lime
  • maggie_lime
More
3 years 6 months ago #205661 by maggie_lime
Replied by maggie_lime on topic Upgrade from 2.05 to latest version risks
Thank you for your reply.
It is going to be harder than I thought....

I performed the upgrade to see what happens and got no errors :

The app loads with a completely different UI (as expected) but when I click to whatever of the menu items I am redirected to the homepage......
No errors on apache log.

Any idea about this?
  • holch
More
3 years 6 months ago #205663 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Upgrade from 2.05 to latest version risks
Did you check if your server meets all the requirements for the server (versions of PHP and MySQL)?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: maggie_lime
  • maggie_lime
More
3 years 6 months ago #205672 by maggie_lime
Replied by maggie_lime on topic Upgrade from 2.05 to latest version risks
Thank you for your help.
I did the upgrade and checked my requirements, there are indeed a lot of things that seem to need fixing. I agree with the proposed roadmap you say.

I have another question if you know the answer. Is there a way to export the survey answers along with the attachments an answer may have in any way?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose