Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

"Session expired" and respondents disappointment

• jorge_ici
  • jorge_ici's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #200882 by jorge_ici
Hello,

I hope that here is the right place to insert this issue.

It has been annoying, and a disappointment to the respondents of my surveys, to receive the "Session expired" message (please see attachments), after being focused and committed to the survey filling. This is worst when they are responding to exams.

I have the 4.2.8+200608 version installed.

I wonder if I have something wrongly configured and/or this is an issue regarding cookie's configuration of the respondents web browser.

Any help will much appreciated.
JR
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 10 months ago #200899 by holch
This is generally a problem of your server settings, which are usually responsible for a session timing out. Have a look at the PHP sessions on your server regarding this.

However, if someone is really dedicated to the survey, even a relatively low session life time shouldn't be a problem, only if you stop moving within the survey for a longer period of time.

Of course, this can happen if you have many questions on the same page so it takes a long time for them to move to the next page, or if you have text questions where long answers are required.

In any way, and this has nothing to do with the session problem, I currently would not recommend to use LS 4.x for any production use. My recommendation would be to use 3.x. for the moment.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• jorge_ici
More
3 years 10 months ago #200916 by jorge_ici
Replied by jorge_ici on topic "Session expired" and respondents disappointment
Holch,
Many thanks.

Do you mean that I should change these php settings:

max_execution_time = 30
max_input_time = -1
output_buffering = on

LS is being updated automatically inside cPanel, and, despite this issue, all the rest is running well.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200919 by holch
These are other values that might be also interesting. Max_execution_time for example could cause problems when you have very big surveys and when you export the data, you might run into trouble. But generally 30 seconds is enough for normal use. I would only change this, if there is a problem one day with a script timing out.

I am not an expert on server configuration, but I guess you need to work with this: www.php.net/manual/en/session.configuration.php

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• jorge_ici
More
3 years 9 months ago #202338 by jorge_ici
Replied by jorge_ici on topic "Session expired" and respondents disappointment
Thank you Holch.
Somebody else experiencing this issue?
Any help will be much appreciated.
JR