Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Content Security Policy help

More
2 years 9 months ago #218292 by jlhollowell
Replied by jlhollowell on topic Content Security Policy help
Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and relatively new to Limesurvey. I've setup an instance running with Nginx and just discovered, when attempting to set up a content security policy header, that the basic header breaks Limesurvey...or at least the admin login page. I searched around trying to find some documentation here and this is where I ended up.

I guess I need to add to this:

add_header Content-Security-Policy "default-src 'self';" always;

Thanks in advance for any help available.

Cheers

Jason
The topic has been locked.
More
2 years 9 months ago #218294 by jcarberry
Replied by jcarberry on topic Content Security Policy help
Have you tried:
1. configuring CSP to send a report when there are infractions of the policy?
2. checking the browser console for any CSP errors?

With those two tools and visiting every possible page you should be able to detect what you wish to permit in your CSP.

Best to do this without any extensions in your browser, as some of them can inject code in the pages that might trigger CSP errors.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 9 months ago #218295 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Content Security Policy help

Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and relatively new to Limesurvey. I've setup an instance running with Nginx and just discovered, when attempting to set up a content security policy header, that the basic header breaks Limesurvey...or at least the admin login page. I searched around trying to find some documentation here and this is where I ended up.

I guess I need to add to this:

add_header Content-Security-Policy "default-src 'self';" always;

Thanks in advance for any help available.

Cheers

Jason

Did you read the topic ?

Clearly written "default-src 'self'; script-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'; style-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline';
Some post before.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
2 years 9 months ago #218299 by jlhollowell
Replied by jlhollowell on topic Content Security Policy help
Denis,

Thanks for the reply. No, unfortunately, I didn't/don't see the line you are referring to...I see the following:

Header always set Content-Security-Policy "default-src 'self'; script-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'; style-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline'; base-uri 'none'; form-action 'self'; frame-ancestors 'self'; upgrade-insecure-requests" "expr=%{CONTENT_TYPE} =~ m#text\/(html|javascript)|application\/pdf|xml#i"

Which Nginx does not like and I see a subsequent message that you posted "Seems we need the 'unsafe-eval' … for public part" but the line you provided here " "default-src 'self'; script-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'; style-src 'self' 'unsafe-inline';" I don't find. Maybe it was deleted...? Or possibly I was supposed to parse it from the longer line I pasted above. Sorry, I'm relatively new to Nginx as well as to Content Security Policy headers...I'll get there but will probably irritate a few people along the way...not by intention of course. ;-)

At any rate, I will give it a try and hope for the best.

Regards
  • NPEUWebmaster
  • NPEUWebmaster's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 9 months ago #218302 by NPEUWebmaster
Replied by NPEUWebmaster on topic Content Security Policy help
Hi,

CSP I came up with was for Apache - I'm not familiar with Nginx either I'm afraid.

The CSP info mostly came from  h5bp / server-configs-apache
There's an Nginx equivalent but the CSP info seems lacking. Not sure if it's helpful.

Also see the section I added to the wiki

Thanks,
Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, jlhollowell
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 9 months ago #218305 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Content Security Policy help

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlhollowell

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose