Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Limesurvey inaccessible after distro upgrade

• Laubblaeser
  • Laubblaeser's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #196738 by Laubblaeser
Hi everyone,

I've got a Limesurvey installation running that I've set up roughly 3 years ago but didn't use it much in the recent past. Yesterday I disregarded the old proverb "Never change a running system!" and updated the webserver's Ubuntu distro (16.04 -> 18.04). It all went well and the webserver is back up and running (i.e. I can access websites stored in /var/www/html/).

The problem is that my Limesurvey installation is now inaccessible but I cannot figure out the reasons for it. That's why I would like to ask the community if maybe someone could help me with my problem. I've already tried to reinstall Limesurvey but to no avail.

When I try to access it via "domain.name/limesurvey/" or "domain.name/limesurvey/admin", I get the following message in the form of a html page:
Code:
0) { define('YII_DEBUG', true); if($aSettings['config']['debug']>1) error_reporting(E_ALL); else error_reporting(E_ALL &amp; ~E_NOTICE &amp; ~E_STRICT &amp; ~E_DEPRECATED); } else { define('YII_DEBUG', false); error_reporting(0); } } else { error_reporting(E_ALL &amp; ~E_NOTICE &amp; ~E_STRICT &amp; ~E_DEPRECATED);// Not needed if user don't remove his 'debug'=>0, for application/config/config.php (Installation is OK with E_ALL) } if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '5.3.3', '<')) die ('This script can only be run on PHP version 5.3.3 or later! Your version: '.PHP_VERSION.'
'); /** * Load Psr4 autoloader, should be replaced by composer autoloader at some point. */ require_once 'application/Psr4AutoloaderClass.php'; $loader = new Psr4AutoloaderClass(); $loader->register(); $loader->addNamespace('ls\\pluginmanager', __DIR__ . '/application/libraries/PluginManager'); $loader->addNamespace('ls\\pluginmanager', __DIR__ . '/application/libraries/PluginManager/Storage'); $loader->addNamespace('ls\\menu', __DIR__ . '/application/libraries/MenuObjects'); $loader->addNamespace('ls\\helpers', __DIR__ . '/application/helpers'); /* * -------------------------------------------------------------------- * LOAD THE BOOTSTRAP FILE * -------------------------------------------------------------------- * * And away we go... * */ require_once BASEPATH . 'yii' . EXT; require_once APPPATH . 'core/LSYii_Application' . EXT; $config = require_once(APPPATH . 'config/internal' . EXT); if (!file_exists(APPPATH . 'config/config' . EXT)) { // If Yii can not start due to unwritable runtimePath, present an error $sDefaultRuntimePath = dirname(__FILE__).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'tmp'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'runtime'; if (!is_dir($sDefaultRuntimePath) || !is_writable($sDefaultRuntimePath)) { // @@TODO: present html page styled like the installer die (sprintf('%s should be writable by the webserver (766 or 776).', $sDefaultRuntimePath)); } } Yii::$enableIncludePath = false; Yii::createApplication('LSYii_Application', $config)->run(); /* End of file index.php */ /* Location: ./index.php */

Can't make much out of this error message. Only thing I could find is a referral to PHP not having a high enough version. So I've checked in /etc/php/ and found that there are two installed versions, namely 7.0 and 7.2, each in its own folder.

So I was wondering if PHP is even found and working at all. I've created a phpinfo file under /var/www/html/ and accessed it via browser. The page stays empty.

Now I know that this is my own fault and everything (shouldn't have upgraded in the first place, I guess) but I have high hopes that some of you might know what the problem could be. So if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you in advance!
Best wishes
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Laubblaeser.
The topic has been locked.
  • Laubblaeser
More
4 years 1 week ago #196742 by Laubblaeser
Replied by Laubblaeser on topic Limesurvey inaccessible after distro upgrade
Some more info that might be helpful:

-
Code:
php -v
does give me a correct version (7.2).

- Running the phpinfo file in terminal (via
Code:
php phpinfo.php
) works perfectly fine and gives me a lot of output (as expected).

- I have manually enabled PHP7.2 as mod via a2enmod. Both php7.2.conf and php7.2.load can now be found under /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/.

- Both restarting and manually starting/stopping the apache2 service did not help.

- Restarting the whole webserver did not work either.
  • Laubblaeser
More
4 years 1 week ago #196745 by Laubblaeser
I've run
Code:
sudo apt-get install lampserver^
to see if something was missing.

Terminal output told me that all packages have already been installed and were up to date. Nothing new was installed at all.

Now still something has changed and that's very interesting to me:
Opening the phpinfo.php file in my browser now works as intended and shows me the expected php info website (Headline: PHP Version 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.3). Yay!

Even Limesurvey now throws another error when I try to access domain.name/limesurvey/admin:
Code:
Internal Server Error
Application runtime path "/var/www/html/limesurvey/tmp/runtime" is not valid. Please make sure it is a directory writable by the Web server process.

An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. Please contact the webmaster to report this problem.

Thank you.

This feels like progress. :D I've then adjusted the permissions of tmp, upload and application/config... Little typos happen all the time and this was one of those cases.

Reloaded the admin page and now I get another error message:
Code:
Internal Server Error
CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection.

An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. Please contact the webmaster to report this problem.

Thank you.

I'm stumped again. What to do? Thanks for any help! :)
  • Laubblaeser
More
4 years 1 week ago #196746 by Laubblaeser
Aaaand I've managed to get it running again! :woohoo:

I've run
Code:
apt-get install php7.2-mysql
and things worked again. Database got updated, admin interface is working again, everything back to normal.

Sometimes we don't need external help. Sometimes it just helps to write things down in a forum.

I'll leave this thread here for future reference. Maybe others will find it helpful. :)
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 1 week ago #196791 by holch
Without database no database-based applications... ;-)

All in all, rather a webserver topic than a Limesurvey topic.

Good that you have things up and running. You should probably do an update of LS though. 3 years without touching tells me that you have a highly outdated LS installation which is missing a lot of bug fixes.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Laubblaeser
More
4 years 1 week ago #196792 by Laubblaeser
Yup, figured things out. Thought at first it might have been a problem with limesurvey but the DB was the missing link. ;-)

On a sidenote: Yes, I've already updated LS to current stable release in the process. :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose