Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE - after it worked very well for weeks

• wpfan2099
  • wpfan2099's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 4 months ago #191045 by wpfan2099
dear friends,

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE - after it worked very well for weeks

what can i do now!?

btw. the wordpress on the server still runs well
and i just have updated & upgraded the system to the neweset version of limesurvey

what can i do now!?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 4 months ago #191047 by holch
Did you upgrade to the newest version (please always mention which exact version this is, because tomorrow your "newest" version might not be the newest anymore and might confuse people in the forum) before the problem occurred or after it occurred.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wpfan2099
  • wpfan2099
More
4 years 4 months ago #191049 by wpfan2099
dear holch many thanks for the quick reply - great to hear from you.
You were right - we updated to the newest version - as of today - the 12th of november.

well - i just wonder why i get this error -

see www.f-s-j.de/limesurvey/index.php/admin

note this is just a beta-beta site -

but as i want to mention :the wordpress - in the same vhost on the server is running well..

i look forward to any and all help

greetings
  • holch
More
4 years 4 months ago #191052 by holch
Well, you still did not say which version you use. Because when reading "beta" site it occured me that you might have actually updated to the version 4.x RC, which is not a version meant for production yet.

So, which is the version you upgraded to? 3.x something or 4.x?

And you also didn't answer my other question:
A. The problem appeared also BEFORE you upgraded to the latest version (WHICH)
B. The problem only appeared AFTER you upgraded to the latest version (WHICH)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• wpfan2099
More
4 years 4 months ago #191068 by wpfan2099
hi there

we use the version limesurvey3.20.0+191112.zip

the issues appeared before we upgraded - and the upgrade did not help untill now.
(as you may see online - if you click the link)

at the moment i c annot say which version we had prevously - i.e. before the upgrade...

hope you can help us here.

look forward to any and all help.

rgeards
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 4 months ago #191070 by DenisChenu
My opinion about this error : server error, not related with LimeSurvey

duckduckgo.com/?q=ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE+php+error
www.drupal.org/project/rules/issues/2093321

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
4 years 4 months ago #191073 by jelo
This error ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is a chrome browser error message.

Please check with a different browser from the same enddevice (PC,tablet,mobile) you're using.
And check with a chrome browser from a different enddevice you're using.

The webserver you're using seems a bit slow. Sometimes the connection gets cuts. Sometimes I was able to access the webadmin section without an issue. What kind of hosting do you use?

As long as you install LimeSurvey under a folder inside your wordpress installation you will get all kind of issues over the time.

YourDomain.TLD/limesurvey/ (LimeSurvey)
YourDomain.TLD/ (Wordpress)

LimeSurvey and Wordpress tell the server to rewrite URLs for the browser. In your setup Wordpress will overrule certain settings of LimeSurvey. You would need to check every change and update manually the htaccess file (if you're running apache).

To minimize work and trouble, install wordpress and limesurvey side by side. You then need to redirect from YourDomain.TLD/ -> YourDomain.TLD/wordpress/, but you have clean folders and don't cause delays and loops when it comes to URL accessing.
Just use /w/ for wordpress and /s/ for limesurvey will keep the URL short.

BTW: Your website has no Transportencryption (https) working. You're are transmitting your credentials unencrypted through the wire.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
4 years 4 months ago #191092 by holch
I run Limesurvey and Wordpress in a very similar setting (Wordpress in root and LS in subfolder) and I don't have the same problems. So while I wouldn't want to exclude this as the source of issues completely, I would probably focus on other aspects first, as it works fine with me for quite some time now. Of course, as Jelo says, any update in one of the two applications could start causing problems.

With Firefox things are looking a little different, the server obviously redirects to www.f-s-j.de/limesurvey/index.php/admin/authentication/sa/login , which is a good thing, but only the URL changes, no pages opens and it is "Transferring data from www.f-s-j.de ..." for quite a while now. So I would agree with Denis, I would bet that this is rather a server problem than anything else. Might be something that only LS uses. After about 2 minutes for me now the Login-Interface opened (in Firefox):

With Chrome it goes straight to the error message you described.

• holch
More
4 years 4 months ago #191093 by holch
By the way, what Jelo says is true, your webserver is extremely slow. At the moment I also can't open f-s-j.de (which should open wordpress) anymore. Chrome is loading and loading and loading for about 5 minutes now.

• wpfan2099
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #191102 by wpfan2099
hello dear DenisChenu, jelo, holch

first of all - many many thanks for the reply and all the ideas that you share

- the server it is pretty slow and old: - it will be replaced in winter-season..
- i can install limesurvey in an other setting - no problem here: i will take your ideas and advices into account - thanks for all your thoughts that you share.
- @holch and jelo:

your ideas were very interesting:

I would probably focus on other aspects first, as it works fine with me for quite some time now. Of course, as Jelo says, any update in one of the two applications could start causing problems.

good idea: i updated some wordpress-plugins and added another plugin on Wordpress. Maybe this caused the issues.

To minimize work and trouble, install wordpress and limesurvey side by side. You then need to redirect from YourDomain.TLD/ -> YourDomain.TLD/wordpress/, but you have clean folders and don't cause delays and loops when it comes to URL accessing.
Just use /w/ for wordpress and /s/ for limesurvey will keep the URL short.

i will try to do so. Many thanks for these ideas.

by the way: holch you are right: with FF i can get to the login site - but not any furhter...

as for the GDPR: many thanks for these hints:

note: this is a beta-beta-beta site: but i am willing to fulfill all the GDPR-things.

however I can say that I can't imagine there are many users that would willingly enter any account credentials on an unencrypted page at this point in time. To be honest all of the modern browsers visiting a site will either block the connection or throw up some sort of warning when being forced to use http anyway. But as mentioned above: the site is in Beta, the server itself will be changed - and all the site-concepts will change soon.

btw: as for some fixes in that sort of thing: can we fix the https (there are free certificates one can use like zerossl.com/free-ssl/ for example) and furthermore - what about to look into a simple free gdpr/cookie consent script like eg here www.freeprivacypolicy.com/cookie-consent/ above all: i will make sure that the GDBR authorities will be able to go even on my small website that for any reason - if they are interested in GDBR-Things. like logging user data (like requiring visitors to login, or any kind of cookie tracking).
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wpfan2099.
More
4 years 4 months ago #191108 by jelo

wpfan2099 wrote: To be honest all of the modern browsers visiting a site will either block the connection or throw up some sort of warning when being forced to use http anyway.

How do you login into Wordpress or LimeSurvey keeping your credentials secure without https?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • wpfan2099
More
4 years 4 months ago #191112 by wpfan2099
hi there

many thanks for the reply. Thanks for idea sharing.

again - as mentioned above _ this i a truely beta-beta-beta-page.

objective and goal: no user should apply and register - i am just doing some tests.
the server soon will be changed.

But again: many thanks for all your thougts and idea sharing

regards

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose