Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Limesurvey 2.05+ working with PHP 7

• behrus
  • behrus's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #176211 by behrus
Limesurvey 2.05+ working with PHP 7 was created by behrus
Hi,

sorry for my question please but i got a project from an customer which have limesurvey 2.05+ and want to migrate to php 7.2 in the next time.

I am sure this is not possible as the 2.05+ version is very old.

My question is for keeping low budget, to which less version must the 2.05+ updated to works with php 7.2.

Is there any documentation for this available?
Is the database structure in higer version other as in 2.05+?
Are there migration software/tools available to updating to higher limesurvey version?

Regards
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 4 months ago #176217 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Limesurvey 2.05+ working with PHP 7
Why would you want to migrate to the lowest possible version of Limesurvey? Why not just go all the way to the newest version? With older versions you will soon have the same problem, missing support, missing security updates, etc.

Today, I would not recommend to install anything else than LS 3.x.

To upgrade from 2.05+ to the newest version I would go in steps. I am not sure if 2.05+ already offers the comfort update, but if so, I would recommend using it.

On the other hand, I am a friend of clean installs, because it offers a good chance to get rid of old "weight". Of course, this means that you have to set up everything from scratch and you might have to do some work, in case your client has many users and many surveys they want to keep.

My first approach would probably be to make a copy of the current database, import it to the new server and then install the newest version of LS using this database. Then you will see the impact and can test, without destroying anything in the actual installation. This should give you access to all the surveys and all the users.

You are not paying any licensing fees, so running two installations in parallel doesn't cost you much (just the hosting).

Data base has changed for sure, but should be updated when you install the new version.

What you need to keep in mind is that there have been changes to the template system from 2.06+ to 2.x and now to 3.x again. Which is also why I recommend to go directly to the newest version, so you do not have to adapt your templates for 2.x and then for 3.x again. I am not sure if this is still valid, but a first version of LS 4.x is expected towards the end of the year (I would guess rather beginning of 2019 though).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 months ago #176222 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Limesurvey 2.05+ working with PHP 7

behrus wrote: …
Are there migration software/tools available to updating to higher limesurvey version?

Limesurvey itself are a migration tool.

2 ways :
1. via http like a majority of user, just go to you admin page.
2. Via CLI : manual.limesurvey.org/Upgrading_from_a_p...#Upgrading_using_CLI

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose