Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

LS on a server cluster. Was: What is the max response-id limesurvey can handle?

• hvgard
  • hvgard's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #176066 by hvgard
Hi "holch",

I should explain a bit. It's an and/and situation. We will have 6 "regular" invitation that go to areas of the country. Each area has around 100 to 150k people that will be invited. We expect response rates around 10% for that. There will also be a campaign early next year that will be television and/or social media based. Indeed response rates will be low. Still hitrates can be high during TV appearances or when it goes viral on f.e. facebook.

We have stress tested the system up to 4000 hits/minute. Response time/page was 1.1 seconds max. Thus far we are happy with that. As said earlier, we can add webserver boxes or CPU or memory almost on the fly.

Thanks for all your support. This project will run for months. Will keep you posted.

Harold van Garderen
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, holch
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 4 months ago #176089 by holch

should explain a bit. It's an and/and situation.

You don't need to explain anything! But of course, it is appreciated. Every major use case of LS is always a good base when questions come up in the forum. Thank you for sharing!

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hvgard
  • hvgard
  • hvgard's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 days ago #182310 by hvgard
Hi, this post is to report back on running LS on a server cluster. For 4 months now we run LS on a cluster of 1 load balancer, 5 servers (4 web with 2 cores each and a database server).

I can be very short: no hiccups at all.

We had over 45.000 visitors and got almost 5000 responses (spending on average 20 mins).

We stress tested the cluster with 5000 "hits" per minute and it showed just 10% decrease in response time.

During X-mas we had moments with between 250 and 300 concurrent users.

So in case you need one, or need to build one .....

Harold van Garderen
  • holch
More
5 years 2 days ago #182315 by holch

We had over 45.000 visitors and got almost 5000 responses (spending on average 20 mins).

OK, but I don't finde 45.000 visitors and 5000 responses in 4 months not that much.

250-300 concurrent users isn't bad though. But I would expect that a relatively good dedicated server can handle this on its own.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose