Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

use of plugins

• rudydehaas
  • rudydehaas's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #201721 by rudydehaas
Error logs and GUI was created by rudydehaas
A couple of weeks ago I had to stop what I was working on for a few weeks. Unfortunately, my wife found work for idle hands and asked me to look at a problem the university here has - one limesurvey (a tool I have used before and like a lot) is well suited to help with.

Installed from the 4.2.5 and 4.2.8 tar files on debian with gnome/firefox it has two deeply frustrating, but ultimately trivial problems:

1 - no error log. Yes debug=1/2 helps, but it takes a week of scouring the docs to find it - what's wrong with doing what
everyone else does: /var/log/lime/error.log by default? Hosting services simply remap these to user spaces so everyone knows where the default logs are.

The bug turned out to be that some text messages and/or boxes in the gui simply don't show so the user sees nothing to tell him what's expected or what's gone wrong - and when I reported an example consequence of the bug in operation, your bug reporting system silently deleted four of the five screen shots I uploaded because, apparently, it is limited to very small images.

So, please, could Limesurvey get a documented default error log?

And maybe increase the image size allowed on the bug reporting system?

2 - my last serious use of limesurvey was version 2.something and many years ago. The new interface in 4.X is much better (Many Thanks!) however it still has some things to leave a unix user bewildered. For example, I've got 500 faked users in my test CPDB table - display them to move a few to a test survey and the control for that is at the bottom of the screen five pages down - not the top. Took me two hours to find it.

So, please, could you continue the good work in making the GUI layout consistent? and think about the layout in terms of operations on larger numbers: several hundred at a time, not 10.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 9 months ago #201731 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Error logs and GUI
Forum is not the place for feature request.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • rudydehaas
More
3 years 9 months ago #201734 by rudydehaas
Replied by rudydehaas on topic Error logs and GUI
So what is? and why is this forum described as: "Discussion about future features & enhancement - what's needed, what's wanted. Vote for new features on ideas"
More
3 years 9 months ago #201862 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Error logs and GUI

rudydehaas wrote: So what is?

You are right. Let me explain a bit.
I was the one suggesting to establish that forumsection here for discussion around future features.

The "feature request" as a formal submission for developers can be done via the bugtracker.
community.limesurvey.org/feature-request/

My intention for this forum section is to allow people to raise for awareness and discussion about features.
The comment section in the bugtracker isn't raising enough awareness and all voting ideas failed so far.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #201865 by DenisChenu

jelo wrote: My intention for this forum section is to allow people to raise for awareness and discussion about features.

Since LimeSurvey GMBH dev team don't come here : ask for feature request here is subject to … nothing , in french "C'est comme cracher dans l'eau"

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #201867 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote: Since LimeSurvey GMBH dev team don't come here : ask for feature request here is subject to … nothing , i

So, your suggestion is to close this section cause it has no purpose? I'm fine with that too. But the feature requests will not move to mantis, but will be posted in other sections. And as long as searchengines are more on the forum than on Mantis the section has at least the purpose to generate traffic.

The mantis section is not that busy when it comes to acknowledge or neglect features (at least my feature submissions ;-)Which would be the first step to get into a votingphase for features.

The feature submission is currently not a curated process.

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by holch. Reason: Fixed the quote
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #201868 by DenisChenu

jelo wrote: …
The feature submission is currently not a curated process.

Even when asking for a agreement to do a pull request … for a new feature.

See bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=15421

And now : you understand why i think plugin is better :) (and adding a good plugin event is the best way)

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #201869 by DenisChenu
07405 (admin login ssl, not forced for public) : easy to do in plugin

More
3 years 9 months ago #201877 by jelo
The threadstarter submitted a feature request.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=16427

• rudydehaas
More
3 years 9 months ago #201879 by rudydehaas
Replied by rudydehaas on topic Error logs and GUI
Thanks - I posted it on Mantis just now. Hope it's in the right place now.

Two notes:
1 - a bing search for "limesurvey feature requests" returns this page:
www.limesurvey.org/community/feature-requests - and that's a 404.

2 - the thing I'm using Lime for here really needs a plugin. I noticed Denis's .sig and sent him an email asking if he wanted to help with this but he has not responded. Is there a developer forum where people discuss plugin opportunities versus either kludgy survey setups (what I'm doing now to address the U's problem) or adding a generalized capability directly to Lime?
More
3 years 9 months ago #201880 by jelo

rudydehaas wrote: 1 - a bing search for "limesurvey feature requests" returns this page:
www.limesurvey.org/community/feature-requests - and that's a 404.

The LimeSurvey GmbH is changing the website from time to time. The forum was moved to a subdomain forums.limesurvey.org/forum , so there are many URLs broken. The new website seems to be developed under community.limesurvey.org/

rudydehaas wrote: 2 - the thing I'm using Lime for here really needs a plugin. I noticed Denis's .sig and sent him an email asking if he wanted to help with this but he has not responded.

Denis is an independent developer. I'm not sure how he should help you and if you want to hire him.

rudydehaas wrote: Is there a developer forum where people discuss plugin opportunities

Forumsections are available. It depends on what you want to do. You might take look at
forums.limesurvey.org/forum/development and forums.limesurvey.org/forum/plugins .

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 9 months ago #201881 by DenisChenu

rudydehaas wrote: I noticed Denis's .sig and sent him an email asking if he wanted to help with this but he has not responded.

An email ?
Or a contact form ?

What date ?

In general i answer … sometimes to say "sorry : no time" … :(

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose