Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Indexing robots and empty answer

• Jmantysalo
  • Jmantysalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 7 months ago #231989 by Jmantysalo
Indexing robots and empty answer was created by Jmantysalo
I saw a line in Apache log:

157.55.39.225 - - [15/Sep/2022:08:48:05 +0300] "GET /lime/123456?lang=fi HTTP/1.1" 200 18807 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; MicrosoftPreview/2.0; +https://aka.ms/MicrosoftPreview) Chrome/100.0.4896.127 Safari/537.36"

So, nothing special. But on the DB table lime_old_survey_123456_20220915062728 there was a row where id, startlanguage, seed, startdate and datestamp had values, all other colums were NULL. startdate was 2022-09-15 08:48:06, so clearly it is from the indexing robot. In my own testing I was not able to get similar rows to appear to the table when I tried to just open the link without doing nothing more.

So when this happens? Also, it is possible that somewhere the code uses query like COUNT(lastpage) FROM ..., which differs from SELECT(1) or SELECT(*)  so that it does not count NULL values?

I use Version 5.3.32+220817 in our own server.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #231994 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Indexing robots and empty answer
Afaik, whenever a survey is opened, Limesurvey will create a new line in the database. Ideally I would adapt the robots.txt to prevent robots to even crawl the site at all.

In my own testing I was not able to get similar rows to appear to the table when I tried to just open the link without doing nothing more.

If you are logged in your Limesurvey account as an admin, it can happen that your answers (even complete ones) are not registered.

Try this in a different browser or an incognito window of your browser and see what happens.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by holch.

• Jmantysalo
  • Jmantysalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 7 months ago #231997 by Jmantysalo
Replied by Jmantysalo on topic Indexing robots and empty answer

If you are logged in your Limesurvey account as an admin, it can happen that your answers (even complete ones) are not registered.

Ah, that was the reason. I had seen this before, but forgot. And in this case it happened that a user here had tested Lime just about 30 seconds after robot visit.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose