Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How does CE version handle data?

• ajlimey
  • ajlimey's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago #218753 by ajlimey
How does CE version handle data? was created by ajlimey
Hi All,

I am interested in the Community Edition (CE) of LimeSurvey (not the cloud version) and see that it claims that you can "Keep the data on your own servers". I get it that this refers to survey data, user accounts and the like but what about all other forms of data. So, can anyone help me clarify what this means, specifically in relation to:

- Does CE use any APIs or other interfaces that export data to third parties (e.g., GoogleAnalytics etc.)
- Are any data (incl. metadata) being passed to third parties for administriative or other purposes (e.g., ZOHO corporation) irrespective of how this data may be pseudonymised or anonymised etc.
- Is the runtime usage of CE being communicated to third parties or is there anything client side that is invoking any third party data services (e.g,. via AJAX etc.).

Any feedbacks would be much appreciated because I am very new to LimeSurvey so don't know much about how it handles/externalises data. Also if you have an idea where I might want to check in the code that would help too as that might help too...

Much appreicated
AJ

-
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 7 months ago #218754 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How does CE version handle data?

- Does CE use any APIs or other interfaces that export data to third parties (e.g., GoogleAnalytics etc.)
- Are any data (incl. metadata) being passed to third parties for administriative or other purposes (e.g., ZOHO corporation) irrespective of how this data may be pseudonymised or anonymised etc.
- Is the runtime usage of CE being communicated to third parties or is there anything client side that is invoking any third party data services (e.g,. via AJAX etc.).

As the CE version is open source, you have total control over the code, etc.

There is no implementation of Google Analytics, as long as you don't implement it yourself.

There is no connection to remote servers with one exception: For the comfort feature your installation will contact the update server from time to time to check for available updates. But as far as I know, you can switch this off in the configuration file.

Some templates might make use of webfonts, etc.

But you can simply install the CE version on your server, it is free to download and install and you can check for yourself.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ajlimey
More
2 years 7 months ago #218755 by ajlimey
Replied by ajlimey on topic How does CE version handle data?
Much appreciated, thanks for that quick answer!
  • ajlimey
More
2 years 7 months ago #218758 by ajlimey
By the way is there a data protection policy for the CE Version? I can only find www.limesurvey.org/privacy-policy which appears to refer the use of the websites (i.e., www.limesurvey.org , community.limesurvey.org, account.limesurvey.org, forums.limesurvey.org, store.limesurvey.org, bugs.limesurvey.org, translate.limesurvey.org and manual.limesurvey.org) but says nothing about the LimeSurvey product itself....am I missing something?
  • tpartner
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #218761 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic How does CE version handle data?
If you host LimeSurvey on your server it's up to you to present a data policy.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • ajlimey
More
2 years 7 months ago #218763 by ajlimey
Thanks!
  • holch
More
2 years 7 months ago #218765 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How does CE version handle data?
Just like Tony says. As Limesurvey CE is hosted on your servers and you have total control over it, it is up to you to provide this data policy, as no one else will know how LS has been set up on your server, how you modified it, how you use it.

It is totally under your control.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose