Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Latest commercially supported on-premise LimeSurvey edition?

• simoneavogadro
  • simoneavogadro's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #196936 by simoneavogadro
Which is the latest version which can be installed on-premise and has official support?

Here ( www.limesurvey.org/editions-and-prices/l...and-prices-community ) it seems to hint to v2.06, which is rather outdated given the current version is 4.1.16.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by simoneavogadro.
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 11 months ago #196937 by cdorin
If by official support you mean constantly receiving updates, go for LTS (LS 3) or stable (LS 4): www.limesurvey.org/about-limesurvey/download

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
  • simoneavogadro
More
3 years 11 months ago #196939 by simoneavogadro
Tnx!
I'm thinking of which version is biund supported by byung the "Surveyor Premium" package as described here: www.limesurvey.org/editions-and-prices/l...and-prices-community
the description hints at the use of the 2.06LTS but since you correctly ntoe that v3 has LTS it's not now clear which versions get commercial grade support.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago #196941 by DenisChenu
It's part of «Access to older versions.» ?
No ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
3 years 11 months ago #196947 by cdorin
Yes, indeed, you can use LimeSurvey 2 LTS as well (as Denis suggests).

However, you will be prompted to upgrade to LTS version once you introduce the comfortupdate key :)

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simoneavogadro
  • simoneavogadro
More
3 years 11 months ago #197098 by simoneavogadro
thanks CDorin and Denis for the replies.
I've still some unanswered questions, where may we find further detail on the "Surveryor Premium 12" package?
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #197162 by holch
If you have questions beyond www.limesurvey.org/editions-and-prices/l...e/community-features , then you will need to ask them either in the forum and hope that the voluntary helpers can answer them or that someone of the Limesurvey GmbH sees them. Or you create a support ticket (click on support in the top navigation and don't let yourself be redirected to the forum, you'll eventually be able to create a support ticket).

But I find the link above to be quite extensive, especially when you click on the boxes like "administration", "question type"m etc, which will show you more details.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• simoneavogadro
More
3 years 11 months ago #197214 by simoneavogadro
Thanks Holch: I'll try your suggestion.
While in general the comparison table is ok it leaves lots of space to speculation.
e.g.:
- Will ConfortUpdate work for non-LTS editions?
- Does it provide any warning/info about potential extension/plugin incompatibility?
- How is technical support going to be delivered? Ticket system? Mail? Phone?
- Does Technical support cover upgrade incompatibility issues with custom designs and/or common extensions?
thanks for your help!
-Simone
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #197233 by holch
As I am not an employee of Limesurvey GmbH, these are unofficial answers based on what I (think to?) know and common sense:

- Will ConfortUpdate work for non-LTS editions?

Here I am sure: Yes, it works also with non-LTS editions. The part about 2.06 LTS is still there because this LTS was only available to paying customers back in the days. Today this version isn't really that relevant anymore. Currently I would only use the LS3 LTS for productive work, given that LS4 (despite being labelled as "stable") still has a lot of bugs and "hickups". Install it as a test environment to be familiar with it when you make the switch and also to find and report bugs so it will become "stable-stable".

- Does it provide any warning/info about potential extension/plugin incompatibility?

Not sure, never had any warning there. But, I think there is no warning. Because LS doesn't really know which kind of plugins/extensions you have installed and many of them are custom anyway. So it would be difficult to determine if a plugin from external sources is compatible or not.

- How is technical support going to be delivered? Ticket system? Mail? Phone?

I assume that you have seen that the support is ONLY for the Comfort Update feature. With the CE version, all other things are your own responsibility, as your installation is installed on your own server, etc. You are

I mean, for less than 10 Euros a month it is not very realistic to get custom support for a LS installation on your own server. The hourly rate of a support technician is probably a lot higher than that.

As you can see in the table, the only difference between the different Surveyor Premium packages for Limesurvey CE are:
  • Access to Legacy and LTS versions (the LTS version part is a little outdated, because afaik you can download LS 3 LTS without a Surveyor Premium package.
  • Access to premium designs (not sure which premium designs there are)
  • Technical support for the comfort update feature (rest is on you or the person that installs LS for you, though I am sure that you can hire them or any official partner on an hourly basis. But for third party extensions / themes it will probably take quite a lot of time for someone unfamiliar with the code to get into it and fix anything, so you'd probably rather go to the person that developed it in the first place. They should know their code best.
  • And of course, you get the comfort update. I think for 10 Euros per month this is actually a pretty good value, considering that you will save yourself time with the updates compared to manual updates or money if you hire someone to do the updates for you. Of course you can always do manual updates, this has been done for years now and some people still do it. But given the price, I think it is work to have comfort update. It keeps the hurdle of updating low, because it generally only takes a couple of minutes to click through the process. So the chances that you do regular updates is higher and you also get alerted about available updates. All in all, Comfort Update is not necessary, but it does what its name says: it gives you more comfort. And I think we all have quite a bit on our table so that anything helps. AND it also helps to keep Limesurvey alive. The developers have to survive somehow as well.

I have no idea if you can get support via telephone, but I think ticket and email is the way to go.

- Does Technical support cover upgrade incompatibility issues with custom designs and/or common extensions?
thanks for your help!

I highly doubt that the technical support will be able to help you with incompatibility issues for custom designs and third party extensions. How should this work? These incompatibilities need to be discussed with the creators of these things.

But in general, there are usually no changes to the extension and template system within one major release. But for example there is a break between LS3 and LS4 in terms of templates. So your LS3 custom templates/themes won't work in LS4. It is your responsibility to adapt your custom themes.

Of course, if the problem is caused by a bug in the update, than you can create a bug report and I am sure they'll be working on it. Ideally, in these cases, you should also create a bug ticket, which probably will speed up the fix, as you would be a paying customer.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simoneavogadro
  • simoneavogadro
More
3 years 11 months ago #197290 by simoneavogadro
Thanks Holch for your extensive and clear answer!
Yes: 10€/month is a very low price so that's why we're trying to understand what's included in the package :-)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose