Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Selected Surveys language not found

• Andreas1Brigitte2
  • Andreas1Brigitte2's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 4 months ago #238916 by Andreas1Brigitte2
Selected Surveys language not found was created by Andreas1Brigitte2
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [see right hand bottom of your LimeSurvey admin screen]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template:
==================
Hi, i want to import an survey but i got the error message that the selected survey language is not supported. what am i doing wrong?

THank you!
BR, 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 4 months ago #238918 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Selected Surveys language not found
Unfortunately you did not respond the basic questions:

Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [see right hand bottom of your LimeSurvey admin screen]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template:
==================

Also, what language is the survey in? Check if this language is activated in your Limesurvey installation.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
1 year 4 months ago #238919 by holch
The survey seems to have some problems. Actually, I don't think that this is a TXT file, but a LSS / XML file.

Is this a pure export from Limesurvey (from which version of Limesurvey)? Or has it been modified? Why is it as TXT while it actually is a LSS file in my opinion, looking at the file?

Looking at the code there is also some problems in the HTML code inserted by the person who created the survey, e.g.:
Code:
span calibri="" style="font-family:">

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• Joffm
More
1 year 4 months ago #238921 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Selected Surveys language not found
A closer lopk at this file shows that it is not a survey but a group
See the first lines
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<document>
 <LimeSurveyDocType>Group</LimeSurveyDocType>
 <DBVersion>365</DBVersion>
 <languages>
  <language>en</language>
 </languages>

So rename it to ".lsg" and you can import in into a survey with base language "english".

Though I wonder that it is English, but only contains an (for a survey not necessary explanation) and a terrible array in German with all 60 subquestions 

As @holch: Nächstens beantwortet bitte die Eingangsfragen. Die sind nämlich wichtig

Joffm.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• Andreas1Brigitte2
  • Andreas1Brigitte2's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 4 months ago #238926 by Andreas1Brigitte2
Replied by Andreas1Brigitte2 on topic Selected Surveys language not found
Hi,

so yes you are right - that was originally not a txt file, but an .lsg file, but i was not able to import .lsg files into a survey therefore i have changed the filetype.
I am new to limesurvey and havent found any good documentation on how to use .lsg files..

• holch
More
1 year 4 months ago #238931 by holch
Even if you are new to Limesurvey, don't you think it would have been an important information that the file you are sending was originally a .LSG file and you renamed it to .TXT?

And what did you expect would happen if you rename a .LSG file to text? It is like renaming a .PDF file to .DOCX. It is still a PDF file and will not miraculously convert to a Word file. ;-)

And of course you can't import a LSG file as LSS file, because an LSG file contains just the structure of a question group, while an LSS file is the whole survey structure.

So the download offered to you is an LSG file and you need to import it as an LSG file.

You first need to create a survey (with the correct base language) and then import the LSG file into this survey. What I don't get is, that the texts in the LSG file are in German, but the file says the base language is in English.

The person providing these files needs to seriously reconsider the way they are providing these files. Because a LSG file requires a survey that has the same base language as the LSG file, which in your case is English. But as the texts are all in German, this is completely counterproductive.

So:

1. Create a survey with the base language English
2. Name the file back to .LSG (or download it again)
3. Go into the survey you created an import the .LSG file as .LSG file.
To do so you go into the newly created survey, into the "structure" tab and go for "add group" and then "import group":

Then you get to the interface to import the survey group (.LSG) and can build your survey around this survey group.

I just did this and it worked fine. I used LS 5.x

And I agree with Joffm, this item battery is huge and I wouldn't want to present it this way in an online survey. Especially as today many people will answer on a mobile device. At least split it up into smaller junks.

Looking at the source code of the question text there is also weird stuff. This .LSG should not be provided as is (with base language in English but the question being in German plus all the &quot; codes). This doesn't give me much confidence in that "survey template" and that they knew what they were doing when doing it.

And you still haven't told us the answers to the base questions:
- What Limesurvey version are you working with?
- Where is your Limesurvey installation hosted? (I assume by Gesis?)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose