Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Collecting email address, detached from responses

• ChStudentin
  • ChStudentin's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago #224879 by ChStudentin
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: Version 3.27.31+220104
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: University hosted
Survey theme/template: University's custom
==================
Hello.  I am trying to set up a simple psychology survey.  It is a strict condition that data cannot be traced to a respondent.

I want to add a field at the end to collect an email address so that anyone who wants can receive a time-certificate to accredit to their psychology course (each student must gather participation hours).  I see that often in surveys: Please give your email address, it will be held separately and cannot be linked to your responses.

However look though I have, I can't find out how to do that in LimeSurvey.  If I use a long field question, then that will be appended at the end of the responses and reveal who the respondent is - the opposite of what I need.  Is there any way to do this? 

I am not sure if I can access the API through our setup, but I will find out if that is required by the solution.

Many thanks in advance.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 7 months ago #224880 by Joffm
If you ask this in the survey, it will be in the survey, of course.

There are some workarounds described here in the forum, some easy, some really sophisticated.
An often used way that I see here from other students is to link to another survey by end-url where the repondent enters his email.
But: Anybody who knows this link can enter his address to receive his points or hours, or...

A quick idea:
In the main survey display a code that is randomly, but with a certain structure.
This you display and then remove from the data.
In the second survey the respondent enters this number and you can check for the structure.
This way you may avoid to get email addresses of people who didn't answer the questionnaire (more or less)

To avoid this some students used this.
Ask some questions like
Last two characters of your cat's name
Year of birth of your father
First two characters of your mother's name
From this you may create a code that you display and save.
The answers of the questions you may remove.

Now, by having this code the respondent can prove tpo have participated in the survey, write a mail and receive his certificate.
Well, again a student may share his code with his friend, but then? 
First come, first serve.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChStudentin
  • ChStudentin
  • ChStudentin's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224881 by ChStudentin
Replied by ChStudentin on topic Collecting email address, detached from responses
Thank you so very very much, especially for replying so soon after my post! I hope I can make it work with these ideas.  I hope I don't receive vastly more emails than responses!
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by ChStudentin. Reason: thought of something more
  • tpartner
More
2 years 7 months ago #224882 by tpartner
You should be able to fire an AJAX call from the end message to a PHP file which uses the API to create a token (with a fake email) for a second survey and redirects the respondent directly with this token. In the second survey, ask for contact info.

Something like this with some small changes - forums.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-thi...rvey?start=15#171537

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Moderators: tpartnerholch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose