Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How do I get multiple text responses on the same line?

• pnickel
  • pnickel's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #221596 by pnickel
I really am having to struggle to get my surveys looking professional and not spreading out over huge pages and many pages.

One issue is when I ask for time, as far as I can tell, I need to enter Hours and Minutes in separate text responses.  These appear to have to be on separate rows (and with the default huge padding--an issue covered in another post).  (Likewise, I don't want the unnecessary and garish green instructions.  I've posted a separate question about that.)

Is there any way to get them on the same row?  See attached. 
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 4 months ago #221600 by tpartner
I think you need to consider mobile devices - single columns are better on those devices.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • pnickel
More
2 years 4 months ago #221638 by pnickel
The way LimeSurvey works is that multiple columns are automatically shifted to single column on any device with a narrow screen. Thus I do not need to design with mobile devices in mind nor to I have to create surveys for use on desktops and laptops that only look good on cell phones.
  • Joffm
More
2 years 4 months ago #221663 by Joffm
As this is a question of type "multiple short text" this is the desired behaviour.
If you search the forum you will find a solution to merge two questions.
As far as I remember this solution is for drop-downs, but can be easily changed to text input.

By the way, you mentioned that people are used to enter time as HH:MM.
So why don't you let them enter the time this way? 
One "short text" question.
As you have to validate the input anyway, you can this do here as well, with a regular expression and/or mask input.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • pnickel
More
2 years 4 months ago #221715 by pnickel
That sounds great! Since your suggestion is not one of the standard options in LimeSurvey, could you give me a hint at how to create a mask? All I want is a text field with a ":" in the middle that only accepts numbers (2 digits on either side of the ":"). And which field in the question "characteristics" (I forget what that column of menu items on the right is called.) I would enter the mask into.

Maybe related, is there a way to enter a default into a text field? I could enter a default of "00:00" and let the respondent change the numerals.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose