Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to remove green instructions.

• pnickel
  • pnickel's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #221592 by pnickel
How to remove green instructions. was created by pnickel
I find the green instructions forced into every question to be superfluous and distracting from the concise style I am trying to create.  For instance, radio buttons take only one option.  I don;t need 1" of vertical space taken up with an instruction that only one choice is allowed.

How do I eliminate that superfluous and distracting line?

[attachment=26937]RemoveGreen.jpg

(I am using the newest version of LimeSurvey.)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohogu
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 5 months ago #221601 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic How to remove green instructions.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
More
2 years 5 months ago #221602 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How to remove green instructions.

(I am using the newest version of LimeSurvey.)

The "newest" version of Limesurvey today, might not be the newest version of Limesurvey tomorrow, just saying... It is recommendable to always put the full Version.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• pnickel
More
2 years 5 months ago #221636 by pnickel
Replied by pnickel on topic How to remove green instructions.
After posting this I did find the switch on each question.

However, I did not even _know_ there was a manual. I don't think anywhere in the app it is mentioned. And certainly nowhere at GoDaddy.
  • pnickel
More
2 years 5 months ago #221637 by pnickel
I'm sorry, I don't take spice or drive FTL spacecraft. I live in the present, not the future. And what do you mean by "always put the full version"??

(And I posted that sentence because most responses I saw to other posts asked "what version are you using?" I did not want to waste time having to respond to that question before getting an answer to my real question.)
More
2 years 5 months ago #221644 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic How to remove green instructions.

I did not want to waste time having to respond to that question before getting an answer to my real question.

We really should prevent wasting time. Your own time and the time of other forum members. This a user helping user forum, not a support desk.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Joffm
More
2 years 5 months ago #221649 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic How to remove green instructions.
Well, I waste my time

I did not even _know_ there was a manual.
I don't think anywhere in the app it is mentioned. 

So, you never saw this question mark?

Nor this on the homepage?

Or here the full version?

I suppose now you know how to get rid of your green instructions.
1. and easiest solution: Don't show them at all. Create your own instructions in the question text in any color you like. (and additionally you may hide the "question-valid-container")
2. Use a different variation of fruity. Maybe you find a color you like more.
3. Adapt the theme to your needs

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #221655 by holch

I'm sorry, I don't take spice or drive FTL spacecraft. I live in the present, not the future. And what do you mean by "always put the full version"??

Well, most of us live in the present. However, what today is "present" tomorrow is past and I hope that we will all make it to tomorrow.

So today there are actually two "newest" version, because there are two branches of Limesurvey:

Release 5.1.18 - 211101 (so released on 01.11.2021)

LTS Release 3.27.23 - 211102 (so released on 02.11.2021)

So basically it could have any of the two, with 3.27.23 actually being "newer" than 5.1.18.

But even if there would be just one branch of Limesurvey at the moment, tomorrow there could be an update and the version you are using is NOT the newest anymore. Which is why we ask for the exact version.

(And I posted that sentence because most responses I saw to other posts asked "what version are you using?" I did not want to waste time having to respond to that question before getting an answer to my real question.)

So you saw that it is important to post the version (why else would people on the forum waste their time by asking for the version??) and you decided to ignore it to waste the time of volunteer helpers in the forum because you feel copying the full version of your installation is too much work?

As Jelo says, most of us here in the forum are volunteers that help other users. So either you help us to help you or we might actually consider it a waste of time to answer. :-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 5 months ago #221694 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic How to remove green instructions.
Ban ?
Serious question (no longer waste our time)?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • pnickel
More
2 years 5 months ago #221716 by pnickel
"So you saw that it is important to post the version (why else would people on the forum waste their time by asking for the version??) and you decided to ignore it to waste the time of volunteer helpers in the forum because you feel copying the full version of your installation is too much work?"

I humbly beg the pardon of your eminence. I use LimeSurvey thru GoDaddy. Never in my life have I heard of a software package that simultaneously had multiple "current" versions on the same platform. (In the 80s SPSS had different versions for different platforms, so it would have been important to know the platform, tho not the number of the current version.) GoDaddy only lists one current version and automatically updates to any newer released versions. So there was no way I could find out that LimeSurvey puts out multiple versions simultaneously.

As I noted, it does not matter what version will be available tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year, as my issue is TODAY. Thus my issue is with whatever is the current version--not some version not yet released and thus not being used. The specific version number normally is superfluous and necessary only if the user is not using the most current version.

So I would appreciate it if you would at least acknowledge that there is a weirdness about LimeSurvey that a casual user may not be aware of.
  • pnickel
More
2 years 5 months ago #221719 by pnickel
I'm sorry. I did not see any of that this time. After posting my quick response--and yes, it was too quick--and following the link you provided, I did remember that I have used the manual in the past.

I am getting back to fixing surveys that were corrupted about a year ago by an upgrade to LimeSurvey. I am developing 3 different surveys and need to get test data from hundreds of people for each one so I can do item analyses for the final measures. During COVID it became difficult to get developmental participants, plus their responses would not reflect a normal state of life, so I just stopped development work. The corruptions resulted in me having to uninstall LimeSurvey from my server and reinstall it. The reinstall erased all my surveys. Backups would not import correctly. So I had to recreate all the forms of all the surveys. I was not happy.

After over a year, maybe two, away from LimeSurvey I had forgotten about the manual.

Two of my surveys have multiple forms so that the developmental versions are not too excessively long--but they are still long. Thus I have to re-define about a dozen fairly long surveys in LimeSurvey. Of course, I create one and export it in tab-delimited format, then open it in Excel to change the questions, save it as tab-delimited, and import the new version to LimeSurvey. (And sometimes the import fails without any error message telling my why no items were imported.) Still, the initial development of the first form is very time-consuming. Having to go back to every question (the developmental version of my student attitude measure has 70 measure questions for each form, plus 19 demographic questions for use in validating the measure items) to remove the Tip on each question is quite bothersome. But I did got it done.

There are a bunch of changes I'd like LimeSurvey to have, but I guess this forum is not a place to suggest them. One such change is to globally turn off the "Tip". After adding all the questions, I had to go back to each one and change "Hide Tip" to Yes. That was a major pain. I had previously not done that because, and here's another change, I was not clear what the "tip" was. I thought it was something else, like the help text. And since I had the help text blank, hiding or not hiding would make no difference. So, for LimeSurvey, it would be nice to have them add some realistic help text to the question mark next to "Hide Tip" to clearly say what the tip is.

Then, too, "Hide Tip" is poor item writing--and this is a survey program! Answering "No" to "Hide Tip" results in a double negative. No survey should ever have double negatives--and the form to create questions is itself a kind of survey! I was confused as to whether a "Yes" to "Hide Tip" hid the tip or showed the tip. I incorrectly thought that a program for creating surveys would use good survey item writing and I thought that "No" meant that the tip was hidden.

But even then, I was not sure whether I had marked "Yes" or "No" because one was green and the other white. So which was activated? Normally in a toggle switch the inactive choice is grey and the active one is white. I have since figured out that for LimeSurvey the inactive switch is white and the active one is green. (Another useful change that is needed.)

I agree with you that the best way to add instructions is to put them in the question or, such as using sub-questions, to put the instructions in the umbrella question. Or in the group heading. The "tip" should not even be an option. (As far as I am concerned LimeSurvey could just eliminate the Tip.)

As for changing the color of the tip text, I have not found how to do that. (But since I don't want to ever use any "Tip", that is not important.) This, too, is part of a major change I would like to see in LimeSurvey. Every component of the survey should be adjustable in a master set-up section--something similar to how each question can be customized. This would include colors, text size, padding, and margins for every object.

Still, I will say that LimeSurvey has improved over what it was when I first used it 4 or 5 years ago. Then there was no development interface, you basically coded the whole survey yourself--the helpful part there was that once the HTML was built you could edit it to put in ad hoc styles. It still used CSS files, but they were all available to edit. However, the CSS "cascaded" so much that I spent hours trying to find things like how to change the color of question text (default was white with a grey background for each question).
  • holch
More
2 years 5 months ago #221721 by holch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_versions

Currently Windows 8, 10 and 11 are all still supported. Anyway, even if you don't know that there are different versions, if you are asked on the forum, you could come to the conclusion that this might be important.

As I noted, it does not matter what version will be available tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year, as my issue is TODAY.

Nevertheless, you still didn't mention the exact version you are using. The helpers on this forum could have a look at the date of your post, check which versions where "newest", make a rough guess which branch you might be on and go from there.

Or you could just make their life easier, go to your installation, scroll to the bottom of the admin pages, copy the version number and post it on the forum.

Your problem might have been today, or yesterday, but what is important is to know the version it happens with, because then someone might be able to check if they can reproduce it or not.

The specific version number normally is superfluous and necessary only if the user is not using the most current version.

It is important because the post might be read or responded to a couple of days later and the version might have changed by then. You don't want to understand that and instead of just posting the exact version you are using a lot of time discussing with us whether it is relevant or not.

So I would appreciate it if you would at least acknowledge that there is a weirdness about LimeSurvey that a casual user may not be aware of.

To be honest, after reading various of your questions and answer to responses, I don't care what you appreciate or not. Let's see how far the weirdness of how you respond to other users that are trying to help you will get you. I have seen basically all regular responders on the forum being not overly happy the way you respond or treat them. Those people are probably responsible for 99% of all answers and solutions on the forum.

So here a couple of tips for you, which you might want to follow on the forum, or not:
- Post the full version of Limesurvey that you are using (no matter if you think it is necessary or not)
- Be nice to those that help you in their spare time

Not sure if this will still help to turn things around, I know that Tpartner, Denis and Joffm are pretty nice guys, not sure how far they appreciate your way of doing things.

I for my part will end it here, because I have the feeling that this is going no where.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, fiedsch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose