Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Same participant table for multiple surveys

• ployrich
  • ployrich's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #213471 by ployrich
Hi everyone,

We want to link several surveys to workaround the max. column limitation from the DB we are using. Because we want to enable backwards navigation between the surveys and have quite a lot of custom attributes as preloads. So the question we have is:

Is there a way for those surveys to reference the same participant table?

How are the experiences towards linking surveys to make them seemingly be one?

Thank you in advance for any input!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 1 month ago #213474 by holch
Linking the surveys is not the problem. What will be a problem is navigating backwards from one survey to the other. I don't think this is possible.

Also, usually conditions and expressions can't use questions from a previous survey to filter or do calculations.

I also don't think that different surveys can use the same participant table. But you might be able upload the same token table to each survey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 1 month ago #213525 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Same participant table for multiple surveys
You can try gitlab.com/SondagesPro/QuestionSettingsType/questionExtraSurvey plugin

and related one gitlab.com/SondagesPro/managament/RelatedSurveyManagement

Complex to use (even for me sometime) but really powerfull.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • ployrich
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #213556 by ployrich
Replied by ployrich on topic Same participant table for multiple surveys
@DenisChenu: I have actually had a look at the RelatedSurveyManagement because I thought the spreadsheet survey could be useful unfortunately it doesn't support the question types we need. Also as you said, it is really complex to use but I guess it's worth taking another look.. Thanks!
Does questionExtraSurvey display the questions of the child survey as if it were part of the parent survey?

@holch: Linking would typically be done via the EndUrl correct? And yes I was worrying about the filters/expressions between surveys. Isn't the whole deal of the sqga that it references the survey as well?
like the example I found in the manual: SGQA should look like this: "745X35X5". Uploading the same token table would be a workaround if we settle for not navigating between survey..

Humor me: How much of a scripting effort would it be to use automatically exported answers of survey 1 as preloads/custom attributes for survey2 to use them in the expressions. Or is that not even a thinkable solution?

Edit: some typos
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by ployrich.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #213558 by DenisChenu

Does questionExtraSurvey display the questions of the child survey as if it were part of the parent survey?

A sample here demo.sondages.pro/217682?token=tokenTest

With sample LSA

[EDIT]
> unfortunately it doesn't support the question types we need.

What question type do you need ? It support all single question except upload files.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by DenisChenu. Reason: [EDIT]
  • ployrich
More
3 years 1 month ago #213566 by ployrich

> unfortunately it doesn't support the question types we need.
What question type do you need ? It support all single question except upload files.

My colleague said that multiple choice question dont work in the spreadsheet. But I admit I haven't tried myself.
Thank you for the two files. I will take a look the example survey looks promising. How about the expressions/filters between the surveys is that managed through the plugin as well or would I still have to find a solution for that?

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 1 month ago #213588 by DenisChenu
No reason to add multiple choice compatibility: I use Yes/No for checkbox : you can add multiple Yes/no question.

i use bossanova.uk/jspreadsheet/v3/ , but no photo or color.

Maybe can use bossanova.uk/jspreadsheet/v3/examples/dropdown-and-autocomplete for muliple choice.

But harder : need to review whole submit code …

• ployrich
More
3 years 1 month ago #213710 by ployrich

No reason to add multiple choice compatibility: I use Yes/No for checkbox : you can add multiple Yes/no question.

i use bossanova.uk/jspreadsheet/v3/ , but no photo or color.

Maybe can use bossanova.uk/jspreadsheet/v3/examples/dropdown-and-autocomplete for muliple choice.

But harder : need to review whole submit code …

Yes we considered that approach for multiple choice questions. We are generating the lss files automatically so it at least changes that processing step a bit.
Thank you for all your input! I will probably show up again if I struggle with the relatedSurveys plugin(s)
More
3 years 1 month ago #213713 by davebostockgmail
Replied by davebostockgmail on topic Same participant table for multiple surveys
Humor me: How much of a scripting effort would it be to use automatically exported answers of survey 1 as preloads/custom attributes for survey2 to use them in the expressions. Or is that not even a thinkable solution? ...

This is easily done ... for your end URL point it to a PHP file that captures the answers from the survey and then writes them into the database of the second surveys Token Table .. then at the end of that PHP file autoload the second survey with the Token field populated .. this will then give you access to the answer you need ... if you are looking for more than a few answers to act as tokens then you can read the database of your existing survey and post the answers to your new token table in the PHP file.

I find working outside of Limesurvey for database manipulation is a lot easier using PHP.
  • tpartner
More
3 years 1 month ago #213717 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Same participant table for multiple surveys

I find working outside of Limesurvey for database manipulation is a lot easier using PHP.

Or, the API.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
3 years 1 month ago #213791 by davebostockgmail
Replied by davebostockgmail on topic Same participant table for multiple surveys
I would agree with this ... If I could get the API working ... tried with a new install and still no luck for me .. I think it is an internal networking issue as I can reach the page that publishes the options but when I try to interact with the data I get error messages from scripts that have previously worked.
  • ployrich
More
3 years 1 month ago #213923 by ployrich
Yes I was think about using the API, as it upp to now worked fine for me. But I guess the more comfortable I get with PHP the better in working with LimeSurvey.

I hope you can suceed Dave!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose