Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How can I hide question groups with conditions?

• Georgii
  • Georgii's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #213320 by Georgii
Hi there,
I'm trying to create conditions that would send participants to the End Screen (i.e., to exclude them from participating, upon IRB request) if they answer in a particular manner. I assume the way to do this may be by "hiding" question groups if certain conditions are met. Am I correct? If so, here are the conditions I have in mind:
  • Hide ALL subsequent question groups IF BGage is less than 18 or more than 35.
  • Hide ALL subsequent question groups IF BGresidence is is "No".
  • Hide ALL subsequent question groups IF TEC1 all the way to TEC29 are answered "No".
I have no idea how to do this, and being visually impaired makes this survey creation process far more complicated...
The LimeSurvey version installed on my university's servers is Version 3.14.8+180829.
I would appreciate any and all guidance on setting these conditions. :)
Thank you in advance for your time and effort!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 1 month ago #213324 by Joffm
The best is to use quotas to screenout participants.
Read about quotas in the manual.
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
More
3 years 1 month ago #213392 by holch
I agree with Joffm that you should probably use quota for screen outs, which is what you are trying to do here (prevent certain people from participating, if they don't meet the requirements). You could also try to send them to the end screen, by hiding the following questions via relevance equations. However, this would mean that they count as completed interviews in Limesurvey. This might not be a big problem if you do not use a panel, but still, I think quotas are the way to go.

manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_quotas

What you would need to do is create "zero" quotas (quotas that allow zero people into the survey for a certain case).

The first case should be relatively easy. However, I personally would probably create a (later hidden, but first shown for testing) equation question that checks the age question and then has the output "screenout" or "noscreenout" or something, or "0" and "1", whatever. Based on that I would create the quota.

The second one is super easy, just screen everyone out that says "No" in the Residence question.

The most tricky one is probably the third one. Of course this all depends a little on how your questions TEC1 to TEC29 look like. So ideally you provide a sample of what you are doing as LSS file.

But here I think I would certain use a (hidden) equation question which checks if all 29 questions are answered "No" and then write into this question if the respondent should be screened out or not.

However, to be honest, I don't know your structure, but most people will get pretty angry if they get screened out after answering 31 questions (this seems to be the minimum of questions to answer before being screened out based on the 3. case).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Georgii
  • Georgii's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 month ago #213436 by Georgii
Thank you both for your answers! They are very useful.

So far, I decided to use two quotas: one for residence and one for trauma/abuse history. This would be present on page 2 (demographics). That way, participants won't have to answer many questions. If they endorse experiencing trauma/abuse, then they can move on to page 3, where they'll be presented with the trauma checklist.

As for age, I'll argue with IRB that consenting that participants are above 18 should be enough. Alternatively, if you're okay wth sharing steps to recreate a proper check of age as described in the original post, I would be very thankful. :)

Again, thank you both!
  • holch
More
3 years 1 month ago #213484 by holch
Well, how about you provide us with an LSS file of the questions you want to screen out on? This way we can have a clear look at the structure and don't have to make assumptions regarding question codes, subquestions, answercodes, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose