Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

side-by-side question with form [Likert array | textbox] possible?

More
2 years 7 months ago #225387 by ployrich
Dear Joffm,
maybe I am misreading your tone, nor is it important if I am. I am not critiquing LimeSurvey, I am sold on using LS because it is free and quite powerful. But I am also not aware of such discussions (how should I if I am "just starting out"). I am merely trying to make a survey that fits my needs.

So thank you also to tpartner I will take a look at that long thread.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 years 7 months ago #225389 by holch

It feels not logical to me yet to put every other question separately in a group to produce this one particular design.

While I am probably the most vocal advocate of a separation between visual grouping (page concept) and logical grouping (question groups), at the end of the day, with other tools you usually need to create a "page" to have more than one question on the same page, here you need to put them in a group. Not that much of a difference. I can't remember how exactly the other tools that I have used back in the time have solved this.

I would wish for a page concept, where I can position questions visually in the sampe group / on the same page, while I could still maintain any logical question grouping. But I am advocating this for years and nothing has happened.

So at the end, you will need to position each question in a group and then those two together into one, and then use some javascript.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Joffm
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225403 by Joffm
Oh, sorry,
It is because I came across your username several times. Now I saw that you are a member of the forum for nearly two years.
I therefore assumed that you had already encountered this point of criticism, which arises again and again at more or less regular intervals.
Mainly from users who know these options from other tools.
And as @holch wrote, he is the most vocal advocate for this feature.

I just wanted to explain that non-default items cannot be easily added without concessions.

To explain this behavior in another tool (Nebu)
By default, question by question is displayed. No chance to change.
But there is a special type called "grouping" that can contain several questions which are displayed on one page.. Furthermore this "group" can contain another type "grouping". And you can group horizontally or vertically.
Here the question tree

and the result on the screen

Separately there is a type called "block".
To do randomizations, and also loops (another feature missing in LimeSurvey).
But here, too, the users criticize that a "block in block" is not possible. 

And - as a free tool for non-commercial use - I saw that SoSci-Survey contains the option to merge questions horizontally
Here shown on their website

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Joffm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ployrich

More
2 years 6 months ago #226649 by eniisula
Hi Joffm,

This looks great!

How could I adapt the script in order to have a multiple choice column instead of the column with textboxes? I could change the type of the second question into multiple choice but I do not know how to insert this on the table.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Moderators: tpartnerholch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose