Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Setting Quota and prevent repeated participation

• g-filomena
  • g-filomena's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #212416 by g-filomena
Hi everyone,
I am using quota so to disregard participants of a certain age group.Now, that seems to work and people cannot continue the questionnaire when they select a certain age range (e.g. 18-25).However, I can see from the responses that some just restart the questionnaire and chose another option (e.g. 26-33). It seems like the "Set cookie to prevent repeated participation" option is not working on this type of participation. In the quota settings, I checked terminate survey without giving the change to change response.

Participants are rewarded to fill in this questionnaire but they are only when they terminate it (a code is provided to verify their participation). Thus, they are motivated to go through the whole questionnaire.Is there something I can do to prevent such behaviour?I am using the online version of Limesurvey, so 3.25.14.

Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by g-filomena. Reason: better title
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 2 months ago #212419 by tpartner
The simple solution would be:

1) Use relevance instead of quotas. Make all groups after the age question conditional on that question.

2) Use Expression manager/script to tailor the end message so only the respondents who answered the full survey see the reward code.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
3 years 2 months ago #212423 by holch
Cookies are not good for this type of thing anyway. Respondents of online access panels often know all the tricks to prevent these things or to get screened out.

I think the only secure option is to use tokens. Not sure if this is an option for you.

How do you recruit your participants?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• g-filomena
  • g-filomena's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #212433 by g-filomena
Replied by g-filomena on topic Setting Quota and prevent repeated participation
Thanks for your replies.

I have thought about relevance instead, although that would require quite some work.
I agree that cookies are not the best solution either, but still better than nothing.

Participants are recruited through sharing the links. It is something directed at the general population, not at specific groups/categories.
  • holch
More
3 years 2 months ago #212440 by holch

Participants are recruited through sharing the links. It is something directed at the general population, not at specific groups/categories.

OK, then tokens are not an option and things can be tricky. To be honest, in this case I think it is not the best idea to offer a reward. You will probably generate a lot of bad data with that. Yes, you will have more responses, but at what cost?

At the max, I would have a prize draw. With only a couple reasonable prizes. This keeps the prize/incentive hunters generally away.

As is, I currently feel that your survey isn't even worth analyszing, because there is a very high chance that most of the data collected will be "garbage".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose