Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Redirects - complete redirect triggered for drop-outs

• MelStr
  • MelStr's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #210383 by MelStr
Hello,
I set up a survey that will be run by a panel provider.
I have received their redirects and they are set up and work okay, except for one problem.
If people do not complete the survey, i.e. drop out half way, the end-url / complete redirct is still triggered. Therefore, for the panel provider, it appears like those people that actually dropped out have completed the survey.
Is there any way to fix this?
I use Version 2.67.3+170728
Many thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 3 months ago #210389 by Joffm
So, you do not have different end-urls for
"quota full", "screen out" and "complete"?
Usually you set the end-url for "quota full" and "screen out" in "quota management".
Like screenshot
What are your settings?

And what do you mean by "i.e. drop out half way"?
They stopped and closed the browser? Or were they screened out?

You really should show us your settings.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • tpartner
More
3 years 3 months ago #210391 by tpartner
I have never heard of an end URL being triggered by a simple drop out (not a quota trigger).

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • MelStr
More
3 years 3 months ago #210394 by MelStr
I do have different end-urls for complete, screenout and quotafull from the panel provider.
In quota management, the screenout url is used for the filter questions at the beginning where I rule out some participants based on their answers. Redirect is set to 'on'. They work fine.
The problem is for those participants that click 'end survey and delete data' (not sure if this is the correct translation). Apparently this triggers the complete URL.
I have set the end-URL in the settings to the complete URL provided by the company and added a parameter that captures the participants ID (this information is contained in the link to my survey). In the settings I have selected send link automatically when survey is ended. However, this now means that the complete URL is triggered for both situations, 1) the survey is completed and submitted and 2) participants clicks on 'end survey and delete data'

This is no problem for me. However, the company that pays an incentive sees both 1) and 2) as having completed the survey. Therefore they would pay the incentive to both, even those that did not finish.

Do you need further information on my settings? How can I best share them?
  • holch
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #210408 by holch

The problem is for those participants that click 'end survey and delete data' (not sure if this is the correct translation). Apparently this triggers the complete URL.

This shouldn't happen in my opinion. As your version of LS is pretty old and not even the latest of this branch (should be somewhere at 2.7x), this issue might already be fixed. If it is not fixed in the latest version of this branch, it won't, because this version isn't supported for quite a while anymore (you should upgrade to LS 3.x - NOT to LS 4.x yet).

In any way, we should see if this behaviour still exists in LS 3 and LS 4 because in my opinion, this is not supposed to happen.

Quick solution: Hide/delete the "end survey and delete data" button.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by holch.
  • MelStr
More
3 years 3 months ago #210409 by MelStr
Thank you for your response. It really makes no sense, but I tested it, and my version does send the end URL. Unfortunately, I am stuck with what my university offers. This also means I cannot change the template (which I understand I would need to do to remove the 'end survey and delete data' button).

I am considering two ideas, but am not sure if they would actually work:

Can I include a condition in the end URL? If I add a question with just one answer at the very end of the survey simply to ensure that people are still participating, then by using the answer to this question as a condition, those that click the 'end and delete data' earlier would not receive the end URL.

Alterantively, I was wondering if it is possible to add a (hidden) question towards the end that repeats the participant ID (I am not exactly sure which format and how to do this). For this question, I could create a new parameter name to use in the end URL.
  • holch
More
3 years 3 months ago #210411 by holch
Hmm, I don't have a 2.7x branch running, so I can't test. But some templates/themes have the possibility to show or hide the "end survey and delete data" button if I recall right. So you could try this.

In LS 3.x for example you can set this in the admin for the theme bootswatch. Have a look if you have an option that says something like "theme options" in the left column under settings.

Should look like this then (after clicking on "inherit everything" on no):

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 3 months ago #210419 by DenisChenu

holch wrote:

This shouldn't happen in my opinion. As your version of LS is pretty old and not even the latest of this branch (should be somewhere at 2.7x), this issue might already be fixed. If it is not fixed in the latest version of this branch, it won't, because this version isn't supported for quite a while anymore (you should upgrade to LS 3.x - NOT to LS 4.x yet).

Even with 2.73 i don't se how it can happen ?Maybe ajax in Theme ?
@ MelStr if you have something related to ajax in theme : deactivate.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Joffm
More
3 years 3 months ago #210422 by Joffm
Just to confirm.
I tested in 2.73 and got this after clicking the button

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
More
3 years 3 months ago #210427 by holch
OK, so it is either a bug in this version 2.67.3+170728 or, what is more likely, it is a problem with this specific installation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • MelStr
More
3 years 3 months ago #210520 by MelStr
Many thanks for your quick and informed suggestions!
Seems like it is a problem with my specific installation. Clicking the button led to a message saying answers deleted / restart this survey / end URL
The complete URL was not automatically triggered and only sent if end URL was clicked.

Anyways, we were not able to change the URL, but removed the button. This solved the problem in the end.

Thanks again.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose