Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Group definition condition cannot be modified

• JEfromCanada
  • JEfromCanada's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #209366 by JEfromCanada
Group definition condition cannot be modified was created by JEfromCanada
I'm using LimeSurvey Version 4.3.15+200907 and created a fairly short survey with multiple groups. During debugging, I found that one of my group conditions was incorrect, but when I try to save the change, I am blocked from doing so.

The survey is still in the design phase, so nothing has been activated. Furthermore, I realized that even if I made NO CHANGE AT ALL, trying to save the Group definition results in an error message.

This problem began shortly after I added a Calculated field to the end of the previous group.

The calculation formula was as follows:

if (((G02Q06.NAOK == "AO05") and (is_empty(G02Q08.NAOK))),'0','1') and is assigned to the variable G02Q41.

and because this is a calculation and not an assigned list of specific answers, when I try using the value of this calculation as a condition on the next group (i.e. the condition that I can no longer edit), I think that's part of the problem.

The condition for the next group is as follows:

(((!is_empty(G02Q41.NAOK) && (G02Q41.NAOK == 0))))

Note, I tried to enter the string '0' after the == sign, but when it got saved, the quotes were removed. Anyway, this condition is incorrect. It should say "== 1" at the end, but I am not allowed to change the condition, and even if I do nothing to the condition except to try to save it, I get the error shown in the attachment.

I have no clue what to try next.

EDIT: Just for kicks, I tried to completely remove the group condition and still got the error shown in the attachment.

EDIT #2: Tried to create (from scratch) a matching group definition. I was able to give the group a name and a description. I saved the group definition without providing a condition. It saved without issue and was able to come up for editing. I then tried to add the condition:

(((!is_empty(G02Q41.NAOK) && (G02Q41.NAOK == 1))))

Notice that I corrected the error in the previous condition. When I tried to save the altered definition (which now contained a condition), the SAVE button turned dim, the gear started spinning, and the SAVE never completed. There's definitely something about this condition that limesurvey does not like....
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by JEfromCanada. Reason: Tried to completely remove the Group condition to see if it would save properly - it would NOT save the change.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 4 months ago #209370 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Group definition condition cannot be modified
Can you activate dbug mode ? And check your console (F12 on browser).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 4 months ago #209411 by holch
Generally we do not recommend LS 4.x for production yet, because it is not stable.

Besides the fact that it is not yet stable, you are also using a over 3 month old version of this unstable branch (4.3.15+200907), which receives updates with corrections quite frequently.

The most current version of the unstable LS 4.x branch is 4.3.31 from 14.12.2020 (basically today). In 3 months much can change in a unstable version. However, if you plan on running real surveys with this installation within the next weeks/months I would highly recommend to install the latest version of LS 3.x instead. Unfortunately there is no downgrade possible due to the considerable changes in the database structure and you can also not import your LS 4.x generated surveys into LS 3.x.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • JEfromCanada
  • JEfromCanada's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago #209433 by JEfromCanada
Replied by JEfromCanada on topic Group definition condition cannot be modified
Thank you. I had no idea when I installed LS 4 that it wasn't a stable release! My bad. I'll have to install LS 3 to be safe. I think I got the installation from Softaculous, so I just assumed it was stable.
  • holch
More
3 years 4 months ago #209473 by holch

I think I got the installation from Softaculous

Never a good idea... ;-) At least in my opinion.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose