Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How do I switch a Theme without affecting active surveys?

• ritapas
  • ritapas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #207135 by ritapas
Hello,
I believe this question may already have an accepted solution but I did not find it.

Let's say I have a running survey which uses a custom theme which I have imported by a zip file.

After a while, a new version of the theme is released.

How can I upgrade it "in place"?

If I try to import it the system says it can't because a theme with the same name already exists.
If I delete the old one and then import the new version, all running surveys switch to the server default theme and don't go back once the theme is back in place.

I don't rather not do this at filesystem level.

How do you manage theme upgrading?

I'm working in a LimeSurvey 3.* installation.

Many Thanks.
Rita
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by ritapas.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 6 months ago #207143 by DenisChenu

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ritapas
  • holch
More
3 years 6 months ago #207162 by holch
I would give the theme "versions".

E.g. mytheme_v2

This way you can upload it without problems, you can make it the default theme, etc.

While the old surveys are still running mytheme_v1 until they run out or until you switch them to v2.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, ritapas
  • ritapas
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #207164 by ritapas
You are right but indeeed what I would like to achieve is "hot-swapping" themes.
This way, if I get a new and better version of a theme, I'll be able to deploy it to all active surveys which are currently using it.
  • holch
More
3 years 6 months ago #207165 by holch
I understand that. It sounds like a great idea. But on the other hand I personally would try to avoid "hot swapping" themes with running surveys. You never know if there are specific things, workarounds, features that might suddenly not work anymore with a running survey. For new surveys the survey owner usually should test throroughly and should find major issues. But a running survey usually no one checks for those things anymore.
So while I understand that hot swapping might sound interesting and attractive, I personally would probably refrain from that. Because if the old survey ran well with the old theme, I would not want to change it. Or at least not without a new test run.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ritapas
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #207166 by ritapas
I see your point.
Anyway, isn't it what actually happens when you change a "parent" theme which other designers extended?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by ritapas.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 6 months ago #207170 by DenisChenu
SkelVanilla are at version 9 ,
Because there are (very rare) issue where you can have a broken survey when updating …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose