Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Randomisation of Conditions in two related but separate surveys

• lsacchi1
  • lsacchi1's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #205208 by lsacchi1
Hello to Everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me with a randomisation question I have.

So, I would like to randomly present my participants with 6 scenarios (something similar to the Google/Amazon/Facebook example here: survey-consulting.com/how-to-randomize-items-at-limesurvey/ )

However, due to the fact that content is pretty tedious, I am going to provide the participants with the scenarios at two different times. At time 1, following Link 1, subjects will have 3 scenarios. At time 2, they will receive the second link with the other 3 scenarios.

My question is: is it possible to create two related but separate surveys in which the scenarios are randomly assigned but not repeated? For example, Subject 1 will receive the first link with scenario 4, 1, 6. Then, he/se will receive a second link with the remaining scenarios shuffled.

I guess it is a bit complicated... But not sure.

Hope I was clear enough.
Thanks to everyone!
L.
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 7 months ago #205210 by jelo

lsacchi1 wrote: is it possible to create two related but separate surveys in which the scenarios are randomly assigned but not repeated?

A relation between separate surveys can be done via
a) URL parameter
b) token with attributes

You will need to have an identifier of the respondents in both survey.

Create e.g six token attributes in the second survey, where you enter e.g a 1 for every scenario shown in the first survey and a 2 for every scenario to show in the second survey. You can access these token attributes via ExpressionScript and can show hide scenarios during the interview.

That only works well, if survey1 and survey2 are not running in the same timeframe. You will need to manually export responses and create a token list with attributes for survey2.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 7 months ago #205211 by Joffm
Hi,
you may use a notification email to send the second link, that has an added parameter with the scenarios that have to be displayed in the second survey.

Or you may use the plugin "updateTokenAfterSubmit" to fill TOKEN:ATTRIBUTES with the remaining scenarios.
This Participants list you use for the second survey.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • lsacchi1
More
3 years 7 months ago #205308 by lsacchi1
Dear Jelo,
thank you for your reply.

"Create e.g six token attributes in the second survey, where you enter e.g a 1 for every scenario shown in the first survey and a 2 for every scenario to show in the second survey. You can access these token attributes via ExpressionScript and can show hide scenarios during the interview."

The thing is, I would like LimeSurvey to pick randomly the scenarios in the first survey, and in the second survey "remember" which ones were randomly selected and present the ones left. From your answer it seems that I should decide which ones go in the first survey, while it is something I'd prefer not doing as it would be a sort of manipulation and an extra confounding variable that I could not control for. For example, four out of my six scenarios are negatively framed. If I decide to put 3 of them all together in the first survey, how do I know that this way of listing hasn't affected the participant's responses to the following questions?

Hope to have explained my issue clearly.
Thank you very much!!
L.
  • Joffm
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #205310 by Joffm

that I should decide which ones go in the first survey, while it is something I'd prefer not doing as it would be a sort of manipulation

This is not a real problem.
Sometimes I say: Ask your grandmother to select three scenarios for each respondent.
Or if there is no grandmother available, use a dice. This is the same as using the "rand" function.
Easier/faster: Use the random function in EXCEL.

And why not send the link to the second survey in the notification email?
Hee you add a parameter that contains the scenarios that have to be displayed in the second survey, like "&p=235".

You should send prototypes of your survey as lss export.
So we may find a solution for you.

Joffm

By the way: Have you the rights to install plugins?

Volunteers are not paid.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Joffm.
  • lsacchi1
More
3 years 7 months ago #205312 by lsacchi1
Dear Joffm,
Thank you for your reply!

I am using a university license, so I am not sure if I have the right to install plugins. Also, thank you for your suggestion. I am a newbie to LimeSurvey...So I still have to figure out many things, including notification emails!! I will try to make these prototypes. Where can I send them? I don't see any attachment option in this chat.

L.
  • Joffm
More
3 years 7 months ago #205313 by Joffm
Do NOT use "Quick reply".
You attach it here.
Click "attachments" and "Add files".

Volunteers are not paid.