Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can no longer design Matrix questions

• nimsta
  • nimsta's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #204333 by nimsta
Hi

We've been using Limesurvey for some time for several surveys and without any problems. As of this week, I suddenly can no longer design matrix questions: the pages to Edit subquestions or Edit Answer options appear blank (see screen shots attached). I am not aware of any changes to system or configuration.

This is on a Ubuntu server using mysql and php 7.1. Limesurvey 3.14.6+180821

I have no idea where to even start looking for possible reasons, any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Nimsta

The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 7 months ago #204342 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Can no longer design Matrix questions

am not aware of any changes to system or configuration.

But there must have been changes in the environment, otherwise a working system doesn't just "suddenly" change behaviour.

First of all: Your installation is basically exactly 2 years old today. You should consider an update to the latest version of LS 3.x (do NOT go to LS 4.x).

This problem appears sometimes but usually has to do with external factors. Basically the editor window is not displayed.

Quick solution that generally works: Switch off the WYSIWYG-Editor in the general configuration of your installation.

What could be a problem source? Your network configuration blocking certain things or maybe a plugin in your browser. Try opening LS with another browser (not IE/Edge, something like Chrome or Firefox) and see what happens.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• nimsta
  • nimsta's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #204471 by nimsta
Replied by nimsta on topic Can no longer design Matrix questions
Thank you very much for your answer. I first tried the suggestion to switch off the WYSIWYG-Editor, this had no effect. Next I tried to track down any possible changes to the environment. Eventually I realized that the hoster had switched from php 7.1 to php 7.4. Fortunately this upgrade could be reversed (at least temporally), and the Matrix question editor is now working again. I will now upgrade the installation to the latest Limesurvey 3 release as you suggest.

Thank you again,
Nimsta
  • holch
More
3 years 7 months ago #204475 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Can no longer design Matrix questions
Yeah, forgot that one. Limesurvey seems to have problem with PHP 7.4 or PHP 7.4 has a problem with Limesurvey. ;-)

Good that this could be solved and thank you for posting your solution. This is important, because it can help others that come here (and also us in the forum, because we can suggest this as a possible source of the problem).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose