Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

entering email - in the beginning or end?

• GCRT2020
  • GCRT2020's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #202208 by GCRT2020
Hello,

I must make a textbox for entering email (if participant is interested to take participation in second round), so how do you think would be better to put this box in the end or in the beginning? which will be more acceptable?

I think it will be better in the end, but I need some more opinions :))
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 9 months ago #202211 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic entering email - in the beginning or end?
I think the end makes more sense as by then the respondent has done the survey so has a better sense of what they are opting in for in subsequent surveys.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #202212 by holch
Replied by holch on topic entering email - in the beginning or end?
In my opinion: always at the end.

Some people might not want to give their email address and might just stop there. Also, they do not know your survey yet, thus might not be sure if they want to take part the second round.

So I would ask for the email at the end.

Just an example from market research practice: We often do interviews in the home of people, to not only get responses to questions, but to also observe and see how people live. That can give you a lot of insights. We usually also want to take pictures to include into the report. We are not starting with taking pictures. We will sit down together talk about the topic, create a nice atmosphere, show them that we are not some weird freaks, but honestly interested in their opinions, needs, desires, etc.

Only then we'll ask them to have a tour of their home, see the kitchen, see the bath room (depending on the product category we are researching). Of course they are informed before, that we want to film/take pictures, during recruitment. But it would still be weird getting to their home and straight go for the photos.

After the team has been with them for 1, 2, 3 or sometimes 4 hours, they are generally much more relaxed and you are basically "a friend" already.

Same for your survey: They don't know what to expect, who you are, what you want. So go easy on them at the beginning. If they enjoyed taking part in the survey and the topic is relevant to them, they will give you their email address. If they did not enjoy it or it was not relevant to them, they will not answer anwyay.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose