Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Participant Registration Issues - Struggling for a week

• dbpro2
  • dbpro2's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #196181 by dbpro2
Hello,

I've been struggling with this issue for close to a week now, and I'm getting nowhere but getting a headache, so I can use some help.

What I'm trying accomplish is a survey that anybody can take by getting to the homepage and selecting the survey. When they select the survey they should have to register and I need at least their firstname or a username and their email address. It would be easiest if they can go right into the survey after registration but I can send them a link with a token if need be.

The issue is that no matter what I do (survey set to listed publicly, participant table created, response table created, etc.) the user gets the following error message after clicking on the survey name from the homepage.

404: Not Found
The survey in which you are trying to register don't except registration, it may have been updated or the link you were given is outdated or incorrect.

I have tried several different ways to get this to work, and seems like a bug to me. Some searching lead me to the RegistrationController on github where it looks like this error message is generated.

I just downloaded and installed limesurvey4.1.15+200402 but it didn't fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DbPro2
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by dbpro2.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago #196199 by holch
The error message means that the survey does not exist.

This can have various reasons:
Is the survey active?
What is the end date of the survey?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #196248 by DenisChenu
But best reason : are you sure of the surveyid ? In the link ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • dbpro2
More
3 years 11 months ago #196322 by dbpro2

holch wrote: The error message means that the survey does not exist.

This can have various reasons:
Is the survey active?
What is the end date of the survey?

Thanks for you reply.

The survey existed.
It was active.
If either of those were false it wouldn't have shown up as a link on the homepage.

I tried it with blank dates and with valid dates and it still gave me the error.

I don't think it's a valid 404 otherwise the text re registration would have been included? In searching I found that exact text in the registrationcontroller.php file I ran across in github.

But I had a case of deja vue from years ago and in the survey settings Allow public registration I switched to ON from Inherited ON and it looks like it fixed it.

I will do some more testing to see if anything else I did might have fixed it instead. When I have time I will check the tables to see if I can see anything. But as of right now it looks like the Inherit isn't working well at least for that toggle.

Thanks again for your reply .

dbpro2
  • dbpro2
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #196323 by dbpro2
I will recreate the problem and see if that could have something to do with it when I have a chance. also see my other answer.

thanks for your reply.
dbpro2
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by dbpro2.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196324 by holch

If either of those were false it wouldn't have shown up as a link on the homepage.

In theory yes, in practice we are currently trying to narrow things down, this means exclude any possibilities. What if there is a bug on how the survey will be published to the index page? These are both things that can be checked quickly and then excluded, without major effort, before going deeper into it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #196325 by DenisChenu

The survey in which you are trying to register don't except registration,

This sentence are not from LimeSurvey core (i just do a grep)

You have plugins activated ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #196333 by holch
Denis, I guess it is a translation from another language into English, because the English is wrong.

"Except" doesn't make sense here, it should be "accept". This is why I think the sentence in blue has been translated from another language.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • dbpro2
More
3 years 11 months ago #196342 by dbpro2
Yes of course, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a wasted question. Previously I was have trouble even getting the survey to appear on the homepage. It was activated and set to public wasn't shown, I then clicked the toggle and got it to display. I think again it has to do with the inherited feature. So I knew it was active. I think the dates are allowed to be blank right?

Thanks again
dbpro2
  • dbpro2
More
3 years 11 months ago #196344 by dbpro2
No I don't have any plugins, this was a fresh unchanged install.

I did a simple google search on that exact text and it took me to github where it showed registrationcontroller.php, at least I think that is how I found it.

I think I did find the registrationcontroller.php in the lime directory, and yes I would guess it is in the English dir.

Thanks for your response.
  • dbpro2
More
3 years 11 months ago #196345 by dbpro2

holch wrote: Denis, I guess it is a translation from another language into English, because the English is wrong.

"Except" doesn't make sense here, it should be "accept". This is why I think the sentence in blue has been translated from another language.

Yes you are correct the English is incorrect. yes except should be accept as you pointed out, but don't should be doesn't as well.

Thanks again,
dbpro2
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #196346 by DenisChenu
Ah OK,

Can you activate debug mode ?
I just check : allow register set to Y seems to work on last git version

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose