Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Save only complete surveys

• sociotech
  • sociotech's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #172432 by sociotech
Save only complete surveys was created by sociotech
Hi Everyone

Is there any way I can ensure that only complete surveys are saved to the SQL database?
I have a number of mandatory questions but if a survey user disconnects the incomplete survey is still registered in the database.

I have created a system where there is only one paticipant token that can submit surveys. Can that be related to the issue?

Best Regards
Mathias
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 7 months ago #172434 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Save only complete surveys

sociotech wrote: Is there any way I can ensure that only complete surveys are saved to the SQL database?

No, cause every survey is incomplete till it is complete. If you use a token for access and persistence, the respondent can pause an hour and than continue to answer the survey. If the survey is not a one pager, you need to save an incomplete survey as well into the database.

You might ask for feature to clean up incomplete survey after a certain period of time (like you already know from sessions), but there will always be a timespan, where incomplete surveys are in the database. At least as long the survey data is saved in the database during the interview.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac, sociotech
  • sociotech
  • sociotech's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #172435 by sociotech
Replied by sociotech on topic Save only complete surveys
Thank you very much for your answer!
It was just in order to keep my SQL queries as simple as possible. I will then just test on a control question so I can avoid counting the incomplete surveys.
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #172438 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Save only complete surveys
When you accessing the database table of the survey, you can query e.g. "Last page". A status complete variable should be there too. Haven't looked up the table, but that should be already available with adding additonal questions.

Update: I looked into the database tables.
The completed status seems to be only calculated.
Would be nice to have a complete status field in the surveytable as well.
But "last page" is in the survey table. If you know the number, you can just filter completes via that field.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by jelo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sociotech
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 7 months ago #172441 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Save only complete surveys
Just like Jelo says: Every survey, complete or not complete needs to be saved in the database. Of course, incomplete surveys could be deleted later, but when is the right time?

People might have stopped the survey for a while and come back (depends on the session time how long they can do this). But it would be fairly annoying for the respondent to come back to the survey and find it deleted.

Or if you have set tokens, with token based answer persistence, then the respondent could come back any time they want to complete.

So I would keep the incompletes until the whole fieldwork has finished. Then you can just export the completes for your analysis. Or you can complete everything and calculate screen-out rates, which might be interesting as well.

As Jelo says, there is the last page column, where you can see how far the respondent got and determine who has finished and who has not and only read in those lines that have complete answers into your query.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
More
5 years 7 months ago #172442 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Save only complete surveys
The survey table has a column "submitdate". This only has a value for completed surveys.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #172443 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Save only complete surveys

jelo wrote: No, cause every survey is incomplete till it is complete.

such a delicious statement B)
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by LouisGac.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose