Reopening a completed survey erases existing responses -- is that normal?

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #191489 by mos3465
We encountered the same problem, Limesurvey version 3.5.0 (build 180309).
(I know, but I still wanted to contribute my findings...)

- It's a pretty big and complex survey as well
- we enabled "token-based response persistence"
- we allowed "multiple responses or update responses with one token"

We get occasional reports from respondents and our quality control team, that random variables are cleared upon re-accessing formely submitted surveys. In our case it's never the complete survey that is wiped, but from what I have seen so far it seems to be a complete question page in each instance.

I can also rule out that it's the some kind of user's fault, as there were 2 instances where the question that got cleared
1) was a mandatory List (radio) question where the users can't "de-select" once something is selected
2) is itself always shown (relevance=1) and was on a page with relevance=1 (so no messing with earlier questions that could have made the page / question irrelevant)
3) still has values for the same token in an earlier backup of the exported data

I didn't find anything on bugs.limesurvey.org, and I'd be happy to add a ticket, but then I
- don't have the latest version installed, although this seems to be an issue in later version as well (according to lemmon) - we are a bit afraid to apply Comfort Update now with the live survey
- the idea of minimal test case doesn't really apply as it only seems to be happening for sufficiently large surveys AND at random, making it not easily reproducible anyways (even with the original survey lss)

Any suggestions on how to progress? Is anyone aware of bug reports or maybe even solutions to this problem?
I gotta second lemmon in that it is a pretty serious problem, as this is hard, if not impossible to spot from just opening a survey to modify one or two things. So there are probably lots of unreported cases.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #191497 by holch
I don't see much you can do at this stage. With the information provided it will be difficult to reproduce, as you said.

And with a version that is over 1,5 years old, if this is actually a bug it might be long solved. The most current version is 3.20.x, so there has changed a lot since your version has been released.

3) still has values for the same token in an earlier backup of the exported data

With your setting, this says very little, because you can have more than one response from the same token, as you allow multiple response with the same token.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by holch.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #191505 by mos3465
Thanks a lot for your super-quick replies. I really appreciate the feedback!

holch wrote:

With your setting, this says very little, because you can have more than one response from the same token, as you allow multiple response with the same token.

Together with the "token-based response persistence" enabled this setting makes re-using tokens open the filled out survey submitted (or even only partially filled) earlier and not open a new blank survey, correct?
My point is that there is no way way for a user to "un-select" radio-questions where a selection has been made and submitted before (please refer to the attached image).

It's probably possible to manipulate those questions using URL-parameters (something like "&qcode=NA" at the end of the survey link) but that's definitely not what has happened in those instances.

jelo wrote:

mos3465 wrote: Any suggestions on how to progress?

Open a bugticket, even with an old version. You will receive the answer that your version is old, but you might get the answer that there already is a bugticket for that and it was solved or not.

Did just that, adding the link here for future googlers' reference:
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=15621
Attachments:

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #191507 by holch

My point is that there is no way way for a user to "un-select" radio-questions where a selection has been made and submitted before (please refer to the attached image).

Probably not, if it has been submited (click on a button to send the page, e.g. next or submit).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
8 months 1 week ago #191572 by mos3465
Yeah, that was the case. Several days between such a value being submitted and vanishing again.
Let's see whether the bug report yields anything. Will update this thread if it does.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now