Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

webserver auth does not log in user

• nordize
  • nordize's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #151878 by nordize
webserver auth does not log in user was created by nordize
Hi all,

I just installed the latest limesurvey on a ubuntu 16.04 where I already have a local webserver auth, and
Code:
$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']
is set before getting to the login prompt in LimeSurvey.

I enabled the webserver auth plugin, and also created an admin user with the same username as the value of
Code:
$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']
for which I ticked the webserver auth option (and unticked the internal db option), see gyazo.com/d1dcbe015b619363fc441770df2ba695

However, when accessing the /admin/ link, limesurvey still shows its own login page, despite
Code:
$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']
being already set.

I was expecting the user to go straight into the admin panel.

What am I missing?
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by nordize.
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 11 months ago #151892 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic webserver auth does not log in user
Please write the explicit version you are using. Lastest is no helpful information. There are two branches of LimeSurvey and after a fews nobody knows which was the lastest version on post date.

I've never used the authentification plugin for webservers, but you might activate the debug mode in LimeSurvey. Providing infos about webserver/php might help others too.

One question left: What kind of OS are you hosting LS on and how/where did you create the username/password you're passing to the plugin?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • nordize
  • nordize's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #152064 by nordize
Replied by nordize on topic webserver auth does not log in user
Like I said, it's ubuntu 16.04. I've already found where the bug comes from. I had to uncheck the box "Check to make default authentication method" ... which shouldn't make any difference, but it does. The devs may want to look into this and fix it.

Version is 2.64.3+170327, php7.0.17, apache 2.4.20
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 11 months ago #152075 by holch
Replied by holch on topic webserver auth does not log in user
If you don't make a bug report the devs will definitely don't do anything... ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
6 years 11 months ago #152130 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic webserver auth does not log in user

holch wrote: If you don't make a bug report the devs will definitely don't do anything... ;-)

It is questionable, if there is a bug. Perhaps a documentation update would be enough.

The plugin offers a option to deactivate the default auth-method. Perhaps not working, but perhaps not activated.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: markusd1984
More
5 years 5 months ago #175881 by markusd1984
Replied by markusd1984 on topic webserver auth does not log in user
I have
Code:
$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']
working, containing joeblock and have similar issues to @jelo

when I make authwebserver as default the page just won't load even though apache error log shows access granted (Kerberos).

When I disable default I simply get the login screen, when I expected to be logged in automatically instead, since the user exists in LS.

In my config.php I have
Code:
$config['auth_webserver'] = true;

debug level 1 & 2 doesn't show anything in my php error logs and apache neither.

Any ideas please, what else I can check?
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #195269 by PierreLemay
Replied by PierreLemay on topic webserver auth does not log in user
I have the same problem. Webserver authenticated users (basic auth) are not logged in. An LS 401 error page is shown when Authwebserver is the default authentification method and the login form is shown when it is not the default.

I know basic auth works, I get an Apache 401 page when the user is not log in, and I can get REMOTE_USER from a test php script.

Users have the same login id for Authwebserver and Authdb. Authdb works fine, so does AuthLDAP. I have tried multiple settings, always with the same results. Debug logs show a function list, but no error.

Any idea where else I should look?

LS 4.0.1+200120 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 Docker container. Apache 2.4.41, php 7.3.11.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose